Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thats Hot

This week Calgary is having record breaking weather- hot weather. With highs in the +30°C mark that's seasonally unlike us for this particular season.

and I am not complaining, it can never get to hot for me!

This morning as I stopped to enjoy the view from our reception area. I'm lucky to work in a building that towers above the city with panoramic views of the Rockey Mountains. The tree's are starting to turn as autumn is now in the air (officially as of 3pm Tuesday September 22), it is absolutely stunning. As my eyes wandered further south I noticed something hovering in the sky...


...a hot air balloon! I squealed with delight (if you know me in real life you know that isn't an exaggeration), I haven't seen one in years! I remember back in the day when I was 8 or 9 they had all types of balloons hovering over the horizon. They had the classic shapes with advertising for local TV stations and Realtor Companies. They they had an ice cream cone, a dinosaur and the Petro-Canada Propane Tank, it was awesome!

Gone are the days though of the fancy shapes in Calgary but at least there are still balloons. Though heights often bother me I could see myself enjoying a hot air balloon ride (though, really... that might be a BIT optimistic of me). I just looked into it and found out that other then getting a free ride if you buy a house from a certain realtor, you can float above it all for a small fee of $250 a person. That's totally do able!

Have any of you ever taken a ride in a hot air balloon?

2 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

It's hot in Toronto too.
I've had a thing about hot air balloons all my life. My brother wanted to take a ride this summer but it was $900 for an hour. No way!

I'll wait and maybe one day I'll do it over the wine regions of France. Not Barrie Ontario!!!

Rolley said...

Ohhh nice, I've always wanted to go for a hot air balloon ride too, I think it'd be rather awesome. Especially with views like the Rocky Mountains, how awesome would that be hehe.

Its unseasonably hot here too, it was a touch over 35C yesterday and its only the start of spring, I have a feeling summer this year will be nasty. Plus we got that freak sandstorm that blew across almost half the country, and it was still 33C at like 8pm with hot desert breezes, blerh, it was crap!!

ever thought about sky diving? (back the heights thing after my rambling about weather!). I'd like to try it one day, maybe next year when I visit New Zealand! Woooooooohhhhh! : D