Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pirate Cookies

My BFF is shamelessly addicted to Pirate Cookies. If you are not from Canada you may not have any idea what I am talking about. Pirate Cookies are Oatmeal Cookie sandwiches with Peanut Butter Icing. Seriously. And apparently they are delicious!

The other day my friend posted on Facebook that she threw away what was thought to be an empty bag of Pirate Cookies but lucky for her, she checked one last time to make sure. Darn if she didn't find ONE last cookie in the bag- awesome way to end the night! This got me thinking as I lay in bed "Why are Pirate Cookies called Pirate Cookies?- Is there some sort of relationship between Peanut Butter and Pirates that I don't know about... Hmmmm" so I decided I should do some research.

Fast forward a few days to today and I decided to do a little research-- and came up with nothing. Well, NEXT to nothing.

There was an itty bitty little sentence in Wikipedia:

"'Pirate cookies,' with their delicious oatmeal and peanut butter combination, were the most popular of all brands - particularly with poor Lawrence Park families."


and another link was this: Pirate Cookies

Looks like "Pirate Cookies" was taken over by the South Park Pirates. Great use of the domain name- doesn't help me at all.  

So now I'm stuck. I don't know any of the history of Pirate Cookies and only know that you can make something called a Super Cookie by taking one Fudge-o Cookie and one Pirate Cookie, swapping halves to make a combo Pirate/Fudge-o Cookie. Frankenstein!

My only guess is maybe Mr Christie was a little delirious one night  and decided that a pirate fight happened between the Oatmeal Cookies and the Peanut Butter Icing. The Oatmeal Cookies decided to pillage the Peanut Butter and bury it deep between it's cookie bottoms. Just like hidden treasure... maybe?

I'm not the only one who is puzzled by this either- check out this post. Pretty much the same vague post but with better pictures (I stole one of the pictures BTW, it was the best out there).

So that's my story, or rather my non-story, about Pirate Cookies.

Do you happen to know anything about Pirate Cookies that I don't know?

5 comments:

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

I'm afraid I haven't...
but peanutbutter icing sounds scrumptious with a glass of cold milk! YUM*

The Clever Pup said...

I can't help but have eaten a whole bag in my time.

amourissima said...

LenoreNeverMore:
Excellent with an ice cold glass of milk for sure!


Clever Pup:
A whole bag in one sitting? Teehee...

Scott Free said...

Better late than never. I've been a terribly unwholesome Pirate Cookie addict since I was a young child. I've thought on this question for decades and have decided it's because they loosely resemble large gold coins.

Mishphos said...

Ahoey, matey! We too have been scuppered by this pernicious pirate problem.

Many thanks for your insight, (and taste o' me eight!)
-Mishphos