Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Confession: I Love Processed Cheese


Look at the endless possibilities! Like Shrimp with Cheez Whiz on Toast!

I can't help it, I can't justify it, I can't explain it. I just love it. It's gross, I know- I use to turn my nose up at it until one day I had it. Now I can't get enough of it. Sure, I like my fancy dancy stinky french cheeses but damn if I don't also love some toasted sour dough cheese bread with a healthy spread of Cheez Whiz and butter. Blood pressure and Cholesterol on it's way up but so is my happiness and the smile on my face.

PS: just so you know, processed cheese does include real cheese. According to Wikipedia:

"Cheez Whiz is one of a number of "processed cheese foods", a category including some types of individually-wrapped cheese slices. These products contain regular cheese that has been reprocessed along with additional ingredients such as emulsifiers and stabilizing agents, such as xanthan gum or carrageenan. These products derive their tanginess and flavor from additional ingredients such as citric acid and flavoring compounds. Annatto is used for coloring."

I like the spread kind. It's the naughties of all the processed cheeses- I think.

So, what are your thoughts on processed cheese? Do you like it? Do you love it? Do you turn your nose up at it in public but then at home you have it stashed away in the back of the fridge where no one can see it and you eat it by the spoonful in the middle of the night... (for the record I do not do that but I imagine that someone out there does. Some snobby foodie having a secret affair with processed cheese and white Wonder Bread.)

No comments: