Friday, September 24, 2010

On This Harvest Moon

the moon is climing high

Last night was a Harvest Moon. Actually a super Harvest Moon. What that means is the full moon, the harvest moon of September, falls exactly on the Autumnal Equinox. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once every 15 years.

It's called a Harvest Moon because of the extra light it used to give the farmers at the time of harvest. Almost like borrowed day light. Hanging low in the sky, often expelling a warm glow. It appears to our eyes larger than life but that is all part of an illusion. It's a stunning site which just adds to the settled romance of autumn.

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleepin'
We could dream this night away.

But there's a full moon risin'
Let's go dancin' in the light
We know where the music's playin'
Let's go out and feel the night.

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.

But now it's gettin' late
And the moon is climbin' high
I want to celebrate
See it shinin' in your eye.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon.

-Harvest Moon by Neil Young
 

No comments: