Thursday, October 28, 2010

Top 40 Essential Canadian Novels of the Decade


Words for Thought

I am a CBC listener and lover. Over the last month CBC has asked Canadians to come forward and nominate the top Canadian books of the last decade.

Well, the response came in by the thousands and here is the top 40 list:

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
Bottle Rocket Hearts by Zoe Whittall
Clara Callan by Richard B. Wright
Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant
Conceit by Mary Novik
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson
Drive-by Saviours by Chris Benjamin
Elle by Douglas Glover
Essex County by Jeff Lemire
Far to Go by Alison Pick
February by Lisa Moore
Galore by Michael Crummey
Heave by Christy Ann Conlin
Inside by Kenneth J. Harvey
Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Moody Food by Ray Robertson
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
Room by Emma Donoghue
Shelf Monkey by Corey Redekop
Skim by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb
The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis
The Birth House by Ami McKay
The Bishop's Man by Linden MacIntyre
The Bone Cage by Angie Abdou
The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan
The Fallen by Stephen Finucan
The Last Crossing by Guy Vanderhaeghe
The Stone Carvers by Jane Urquhart
The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden
Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden
Twenty-Six by Leo McKay Jr.
Unless by Carol Shields


Canada has spoken! We asked you for your nominations for the Top 40 Essential Canadian Novels of the Decade and did you ever answer.Canadians around the world sent in their suggestions through our recommendation form, email, Facebook and Twitter. We tallied up each and every vote. More than 6,000 nominations came in and you voted for 400 different novels of every genre: science fiction, mystery, romance, young adult and more. We couldn't be more thrilled with the result! But enough about how awesome Canadian book lovers are. Without further ado, here's the Top 40 list as chosen by you!

Cast your vote for your most essential novel below! Only one vote per person, so choose carefully. Over the next 10 days we'll be exploring the chosen novels in more detail, so check back to get the lowdown on all 40 contenders. The poll is open until midnight ET November 7, and we'll reveal the Top 10 list on November 9.


To cast your vote go to CBC Canada Reads

I've only ready a handful of the books listed above. I think I will dive in and pick another handful to bring into my reading list- Oh but which ones to pick?

Have you read any of the books on the list? If yes, which ones have you enjoyed? Which ones have you not enjoyed...

I definitely pick my books by their covers. Not all but many... I've often found myself pleasantly surprised. I am drawn to the following books:
  • Skim by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
  • Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant
  • Moody Food by Ray Robertson (mostly for the mention of food)
So I think I will start there.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Hey, thanks for the post! I'm the author of Far to Go (which has a lovely cover, btw) - give it a read and let me know what you think.

Great blog. Congrats.

amourissima said...

Wow, thanks Alison for stopping by! I've added your book to my Holiday Wish List so I'll let you know when I finish it.

Congrats to you! :)