Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What Really Matters


Dogs (animals) teach us what really matters in life.

I haven't been on Blogger for a while- okay, a week maybe. That honestly is a long time for me. Even though I don't always write I often come on and read what everyone else is doing. So anyway, I was perusing through my blog roll of people I follow and came across something titled "What Really Matters". The title alone struck me. What really matters? What REALLY matters? What really matters. To me.

A lot of things matter to me. I can say that there is a lot I feel passionately about.

The obvious answer would be LIFE but in a way I would be darting the question because it's such a broad decision.

Under the heading of LIFE, the things that matter the most to me are:

  • My connections- with family, friends and myself. It doesn't mean I have to stay connected with everyone I encounter at all times. People do come and go depending on the circumstance and where we each are in life. It just means having those connections with people and with myself. Allowing a little vulnerability. Intimacy and to be needed. Human connection is something that really matters to me.

  • Pleasure-  taking full advantage of life within my own personal means and what it has to offer. Enjoying the things I enjoy to the fullest. With uncensored joy. Sharing this pleasure with my connections means a lot to me as well but has been somewhat difficult recently. This is something I am working on shifting.

  • Experiences- I read somewhere that money brings happiness from experience. It's not the things you buy with money it is the experiences you create while using money. Not to say that you need a lot of money to have experience but it does need a be there somewhere. Even if it is just a $2 peddle boat ride. Using money as wisely as possible. Even taking a class to learn a new skill or move forward in life. Reading a new book. It all matters.

  • Kindness and Respect- to animals, to time, to the earth, to others and to ourselves. I don't really think I need to expand on this.

  • Boundaries- knowing when to say no. Knowing when to call time out and knowing when to call it quits. As important as it is to me to know my boundaries, to stick-up for what I need and want... it's also very difficult. It matters because it's a part of the relationship you have with yourself. I stand-up and support the people in my life, why wouldn't I do that for myself?

And under all those sub headings comes the tiny little passions:
  • Music
  • Food
  • Laughter
  • Nature
  • Adventure
  • Art
  • History
  • Health
  • Dance
  • Conversation
  • Creating  Etc...

I'm sure this reads rather dry and overly optimistic. I tend to be that way. I'm sensitive to negativity and am often defensive when I find myself  in the same room as it. Life isn't perfect, my life isn't perfect but it should feel good. Do you not agree? These are some of the things that matter most to ensure I make the most out of what really matters, for me. My Life.

So, care to share? What really matters to you?


2 comments:

Haley Sue said...

I think I kind of needed to hear this. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I whole-heartedly agree!

amourissima said...

Thanks Haley Sue!