Monday, November 1, 2010

It's Not About How You Look


this is Dave and his friend. I have no idea who he is but doesn't he seem interesting?

Okay, it kind of is. But it kind of isn't. It is maybe when you are in your 20's 30's even 40's but by the time you reach your 70's it becomes less about how you look and more about how you are.

Last year I went through my 17th "mid-life crisis" and decided that I was officially "old" and unattractive. What the heck! For someone who doesn't read fashion and beauty magazines I have no idea where this idea came from. Actually, I blame reality TV just because it's an easy target. I also blame all these young children making their first 500 million dollars by the time they are 11. Who can compete with that! Not this girl... I didn't even have my Social Insurance Number until I was 18.

It hit me though, through all this crazy talk and thought that really. It wasn't about what I looked like, or having a few laugh lines or squint wrinkles or any of that jazz. It really is about how interesting of a person you are and how well you can relate to others.

I don't want to attract a life partner who is all about me being a young, hot, lady. I want to attract a life partner (why am I using the term "life partner") who finds me interesting and I find them interesting and we do interesting things together. I want to be friends with interesting people (which I am). I want to be an interesting person because that is what stays with a person well past the years of perky boobs and a smooth, line free neck.

I am going to keep brushing my hair and flossing my teeth. Dressing up, moisturizer, perfume- all good things. Showers, even better. I'm not going to stop doing the things that make me an easier person to be around but I've stopped worrying so much about the expression lines along my forehead and my paler than Edward the Vampire skin (Though sometimes I wish I sparkled in the sun- actually, that wouldn't be right.). The superficial things... No one is really looking and if they are, what does that matter? My focus needs to be on building my mind and my communication skills. Being interested in people and their life.

I don't think this post makes much sense... it just a fleeting thought as I clean up from my day at work. Rather than complaining about all the phone calls I have been getting I decided to indulge in a little self-thought sharing.

So what are your thoughts?
Do you want to be an interesting person?
Do you think you are an interesting person?
What makes you interesting?
Do you not care and instead worry about other things?

Indulge me in your self-thought.

No comments: