Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lentil Quinoa Veggy Stew

you try and make lentil's look good...

I'm not vegetarian but I eat like one. I'm picky about my meat and really only eat it when I'm out. I prefer things like Quail, Bison, Duck and Lamb. Beef and Chicken are pretty boring (I know, what a thing for an Albertan to say). It has to be done with flare and it has to be done right.

So at home, I cook mostly vegetarian meals and if I wish to add meat, that's fine. Not a big deal. One of my favorite easy go to dishes is a Lentil, Quinoa and Vegetable Stew. It can be made in a slow cooker but to be honest, I'm scared of my slow cooker and worry that it will start a fire while I'm at work. So I just use a pot and it's so quick and easy it's almost as though I didn't even cook it myself.

Blanche's Lentil Quinoa Veggy Stew
2 cloves of garlic- crushed
1/4 cup of finely chopped onions

1 cup of dried green lentils
1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of chopped celery
4 cups of chicken or veggie broth
1 cup of hot water
1 796 ml can of diced tomatoes- no salt
small handful of fresh Thyme (or 2 tsp of the dried stuff)
2 tsps approx of fresh ground black pepper.
Salt to taste

I throw a little olive oil in the bottom of a good sized stock pot, saute the garlic and the onions until tender. Then I toss the rest of the ingredients in, bring to boil and then let it simmer uncovered on med low for 30 minutes or until lentils are cooked- stirring every so often (more out of curiosity then purpose).

Once ready, serve. I always serve with a fresh loaf of crusty bread. My prefrence, if you live in Calgary go to Yann Haute Patisserie for thier bread (make sure you buy an extra loaf for the car ride home, otherwise you'll just have to go back and pick up another loaf)- so good. So very, very good. I slice up an nice soft, buttery cheese like Havarti and a little cold meat for those who wish. Makes for a great meal on a cold winters night.

Keeps well and tastes even better the next day.

2 comments:

Rolley said...

mmm nice, a hearty bowl of steaming goodness!!!!!

I'm the same. well my wife is vegetarian, i do most the cooking and prefer mostly vegetarian food anyway! when i go out or when i buy some meat (once in a blue moon) i'm sooooo picky too.

amourissima said...

Vegetarian food just tastes better I find- Mmmmmmm....

And my tummy loves it way more then a huge hunk of mystery meat.