Friday, March 4, 2011

Honey is Bee Vomit


I'm cute, pet my furry head.

True Story. If you think honey is made from flower nectar you are only partially correct. An important part of the process is what happens inside the bee. Bees use their digestive systems to process the nectar by swallowing and regurgitating it several times before finally depositing it into the honeycomb for evaporation and storage.

While this sounds gross, it helps remove some of the water and natural yeasts present in the nectar, which could otherwise cause the sugars to ferment. Ripe honey is shelf stable and never spoils. Honey comes in various tastes and colours, depending on the type of flower nectar the bees collected. For example, clover honey is mild tasting and light in colour whereas buckwheat honey is bolder tasting and darker. Honey may also darken or become a bit stronger tasting with age, but will keep indefinitely in a sealed container at room temperature. If older honey crystallizes, simply warm it up until it turns clear.

And that is all that you needed to know about Honey.




 Honey-Honey by Feist

Honey honey up in the trees
Fields of flowers deep in his dreams
Lead them out to sea by the east
Honey honey food for the bees

Honey honey out on the sea
In the doldrums thinking of me
Me on dry land thinking of he
Honey honey not next to me

Even if he wanted to
Even if he wanted to
Even if he wanted to
Do you think he'd come back
Would he come back

Oh no..

Honey honey out on the sea
In the doldrums waiting for me
Me in my boat searching for he
Honey honey food for the bees

2 comments:

Rolley said...

mm i love honey, and bees are rad. I'm totally gonna get my own bees some time.. Native australian bees though, not european honey bees... our little beebees don't sting at all, so I wont need to look like a STORM TROOPER to get honey.
Only down point is that our native bees only make a tiny bit of honey, so, i might only get one big bottle out of em each year or so hehe.
Still i think it'll be worth it!
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss are cool.
bz.
r

amourissima said...

Awe. The bee's you have in Australia don't sting? Wow! I had no idea!!! I like honey bee's. They are really sweet- no pun intended. The chances of them stinging you are unlikely because they only sting when they think they are in danger. So, you'd have to go out of your way to make one angry for it to sting you.

I'd love to have my own hives as well. It just seems like such a releasing hobby.