Monday, April 25, 2011

Educating Yourself



Canada is having an election May 2nd and we all know how I feel about voting. Calgary just went through a civic election which ignited the city with passion and I have to admit, I was proud. I'm hoping that something similar will happen with our Federal Election.

Excuse me as I get up on my soap box for a moment. I want to address the voters.

First of all, if you choose not to vote, that's fine. That is up to you and I honestly think it's for the best. Someone who is choosing not to vote is fundamentally someone who is choosing not to care. They have their reasons and truly I don't want people who don't care to vote. I would rather have a small fraction of well educated voters at the polls then a mass of ignorant, apathetic voters picking the one guy whose name they recognize most.

and so for the rest of you who do have that fire in your belly, go with it. I'm with you. I care regardless of how fractured I think the voting system is. It's what we have now and so I have to use it. I want to use it.. it's the only way to do what I need to do. I'm voting for me.

I always go into any election with a blank mind (I know, it's not that hard for me- haha) I am not loyal to any particular political party. I may have voted Conservative last election but that doesn't necessarily mean I will vote that way for this election. This is why it is so important to me to educate myself. Starting from the ground up I scour as many unbiased sources to get to the meat of the platforms and promises. I research the candidates individually, taking both their past and current histories into consideration. and then, I take a long hard look at what I need from my country and what I want. When it comes down to voting, I vote as if my opinion is the only one that matters. My decision is selfish and it is based purely on what I want and think would be best for me and the ones I love; the things that matter most.

*steps down from soap box
I've said my piece.

So educating yourself, how do you do that? 

I find that there are plenty of resources to do that. Ideally, what you are looking for is something that states the facts, not the emotions or opinions. Even the Calgary Herald has a decent interactive site that allows voters to find simple, factual information within a few clicks:

Here is one from the CBC:

And the site from Elections Canada:


I'm sure there are plenty of other resources out there that supply similar information that might be better or more detailed, if you know of any- please share. I'd love to read them, I don't think I can ever get enough.

So, I've said my two cents about this and will more than likely keep things to myself from this point forward or at least off my blog (unless I have someone to say along the general terms). Those of you with the same fire in your belly as me,  I don't care who you vote for as long as you have taken the time to do your research and feel confident in what you believe in. Enjoy educating yourself. Oh and today is the last day for Advance Poling so if you don't get your say in today then I'll see you on May 2nd!


(writing this made me so tried! It's not a good sign when you even bore yourself when talking about stuff... *yawn)

No comments: