Monday, April 11, 2011

Greece from the Water

It's the time, it's the place, it's the feeling

I keep a Bucket List of places I want to travel to in the next 10 years. Yes, I agree- 10 years is a long time but I want to be realistic and I also want to savor.

A while ago I saw a movie called The Big Blue. An inspiring film, superficially about diving. Metaphorically about search for love, family, "wholeness" and the meaning of life and death. Most of it was filmed in Greece (as well as Peru- another bucket list place) which opened my eyes to the grace of the land.

It was then that I decided that Greece and the Greek Islands were a place I needed to see.

There are so many ways to get around and though I tend to steer clear of cruises, boats are a different story.

How does chartering your own yatch with your own private skipper sound? Stopping when you want to swim and dive, never have to move your luggage (though, ideally... I dream of not having any luggage, unrealistic but a dream), and being able to to jump from place to place with built in down time.

It's cheap too.... $230/per couple total a night which includes 2 meals (eaten on land), a little tour guiding, lodging plus transportation.

I don't like the idea of having to bounce from place to place at the mercy of another persons guided tour. If I want to stay in an area for more then a day, let me. If I want to get out of another place in 4 hours- please... let me do that too. If I want to pop over to Italy for lunch and then back to Greece for dinner, life is good.

So who knows, this was just something that I stumbled across when I was looking at pictures of the Greece Islands this morning. Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, just to list a few... There is so much, and my I understand why my sister took 6 months to travel between Greece and all the Islands. I still want to do it, just to get a taste.

No comments: