Thursday, June 30, 2011

D.


26 years old and passed away in a motor vehicle accident. I talked to his mother on the phone this morning and I had to bite my lip to keep from crying. She was trying so hard to be strong but I could hear that this had destroyed  a part of her. They say a parent never expects to out live their child. She told me stories of what a good man he was. How he loved his mother, loved his father and loved his little nieces. He and his first love had just broken up a month before and she told me how he sat at the kitchen table and cried for this woman who broke his heart. Now, she sits there and cries for him. She regrets breaking up with him. She regrets being so harsh but he still loved her.

His mother told me about a special ruby and diamond ring she had given her son a few years ago was given to the girlfriend by her son a little while ago. When they broke up she gave it back to him. When his stuff was returned to his mother he had kept it in his pocket. She put it back on her finger. The other night when the girlfriend and the mother sat at the table she could see the girlfriend eyeing the ring. The mother asked if she wanted the ring back and the girlfriend said "you deserve to wear it more than me."

They had a gathering for D. Not a celebration. Not a funeral. He had said to her a few months ago "Mom, if anything were to happen to me I do not want a funeral. I don't want to be buried. Take my ashes and scatter me where I played as a boy and then as a man. Around the tree's and in the fields. Close to the barn where I kept my horse. and I don't want funeral music." and so she kept her promise.

It's sad to see such a young life leave so abruptly and it always reminds me to make the most out of every moment. Love, live, enjoy, cry, embrace, accept, let go and move on. Keep the special ones in your heart, let the old ones, the wrong one, the disrespectful and the hurtful ones shuffle to the back. Keep your intentions clear, your words honest and be strong- you may never get a chance to take it back. To say you are sorry or to say that you care. Learn your lessons. Enjoy your moments and never be afraid to love.


Just a little post devoted to someone special. M. D. Woods. You are loved and will be missed.
June 16th 1985- June 24th 2011

No comments: