Monday, July 18, 2011

Katy Perry




The tickets were free, they got me into the Stampede Grounds for free. I sat in the Telus box and drank free drinks, ate free food and enjoyed all the company. I don't think I own anything by Katy Perry or about Katy Perry. I know more about her husband then I do about her. OH! The only thing I like about Katy Perry are her pajama's! I've seen a lot of live music but I've never been to see a Top 40 artist from my generation (all those 60's and 70's artists were big before I was even born. Before I was even a twinkle in my daddies eye!). Actually, I've been to award ceremonies but even that was nothing like this concert.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I have NEVER in all my life been to a spectacle like that before. There were lasers, not just pew-pew-pew lasers but it actually created a hologram effect. There was glitter and other pretty things falling from the roof, there was foam being sprayed and bubbles being blown and fireworks being shot off INSIDE and beach balls and other inflatable animals and 25 different costume changes and goodies being thrown into the audience and flying trapeze and candy money and cotton candy. Some of the BEST cotton candy I have ever had. There were glowing sticks and glowing hats and the whole thing was amazing. Vegas meets Disney. It was unreal.

And people were actually standing and dancing. FINALLY. I behaved because I was a guest in a high end company box but I still got up and wiggled my butt and danced the night away.


Reason why Katy Perry was great:

1. Live.  Do you know how many pop acts can sing and dance and still live nowadays?  Not very many.  The fact that Katy really sang throughout the entire show, was impressive, which is really a sad statement on today’s entertainment, but that’s something Rolling Stone can write about.  For me, it was amazing to hear that she actually has a great voice that was all too often drowned out by the huge production numbers. There were moments when she wasn't singing her hits, when she was delighting the audience with karaoke versions of Rebecca Black and that Friday Song that you could hear just how good her voice is.

2. Theatrics. Speaking of the big production numbers, the set was like a giant Candy Land game.  (Not that I’ve ever played Candy Land….) I can only describe it being as like a show on Broadway but with thousands of people screaming, yelling, dancing and taking photos. Rarely did we sit, mostly because we were having too much fun, with my short attention span, that my friends is a miracle. It was amazing. I can't begin to recreate what it was like to see something like his. The pictures don't even do the experience justice.

3. Fans. One thing that Katy Perry loves are her fans and it shows.  It’s no secret that the music industry is in trouble, people don’t have to buy music anymore, so if you don’t love and support your fans, why should they support you.  The show was filled with special moments just for Katy’s admirers.  Calling up a “hot cowboy” or instigating an impromptu dance party with dozens of fans on stage, are moments that many who saw the show won’t ever forget. She floated on a cloud made of cotton candy and went past her stage and sang to audience members who were in cheaper seats. This concert was for her fans. I can't even begin to imagine how amazing it would have been for people who love her music. The concert started at 7:30 and went all the way to 11:30. That's getting your moneys worth that's for sure.

For years I had mistakenly put Katy Perry in the same crowd as Lady Gaga, but now I see how wrong I was.  While Gaga relies on shock value to keep your interest, Katy Perry does it by just being herself. An interesting night to say the lease.


AND on a side note, I also go to see Janelle Monae live WOW, now that is a performer! Stunning voice, amazing songs, dance moves to put James Brown to shame. She was a stunner and I plan to buy everything she's put out. Mind you, the recorded stuff is often not as good as live but I'll take a listen. I'm sure it's amazing.

No comments: