Friday, October 14, 2011

Simply Put




It's the simple things that make me happiest:

-a good book
-tidy house
-natural beauty
-freedom
-love
-sunshine
-company of good friends and lovers
-nature
-walks that don't need to be rushes
-linking arms or even hand holding
-blankets and couch forts
-arriving
-laughter and smiles
-good intention and good humor
-honesty

When ever life gets too complicated; my relationships get complicated and everything around me, I am become unhappy. It's one thing to challenge and grow but to always be in an uncomfortable limbo of having the newest thing, the best thing. To never be happy with the things that you have, or to be oddly attached to our material items-- it's soul limiting. I'm happiest when I'm not concerned with my possessions. Where my worth is based on who I am, not what I look like or what I can do for you.

It always comes back to this. I have such an appreciation for life, my iPhone isn't life. My car isn't life. My $400 jeans and $1000 purse isn't life. They don't matter. They aren't who I am. I am the woman beneath it all and I may not always look beautiful to you, but I always feel beautiful to me.

**

For some reason, updating my iPhone yesterday brought this on. Funny, isn't it. Learning that people were lining up for hours all because of a new phone. It's silly. Does this really make them happy, like truly happy? It worries me that the state of worth this world has is based on being the first. I think we can only find happiness's when we realise that really.. we won't ever be truly first most of the time. We won't be the most beautiful, we won't be the smartest, the riches, the best, the worst. Not all the time. Maybe for a few minutes in a year we'll bathe is that golden light. There is always going to be someone better, there is always going to be someone not as good. We must stop competing with the world and just do what makes us happy. Do what brings us the most satisfaction. Do what will bring us comfort on our death beds many years from now. If knowing you have the newest phone on the market brings you happiness, then awesome. I can't relate as well as I could if you said that your happiness comes from your experiences, but I will appreciate that is where you find your happiness.

Yes, I am simple. I am rudimentary.. that doesn't make me less of a person. It doesn't make me less intelligent. It's just who I am, stripped down to the core.  

and that's my rant for the day.

No comments: