Thursday, October 13, 2011

Spring Flowers in Australia



As the days get shorter, the nights get cooler and the leaves on the trees go from green to amber to dead; we in Canada get ready for winter (did I use the semi-colon right? I read this and think I understood it but I'm not 100% sure. Dino's party gorillas and other such wonderful things distract me). That's a different story on the other side of the world, in Australia, where my blogging friend Rolley lives, it's the (pun intended) polar opposite. He just posted this wonderful little diddy about the flowers in spring. Being a nature geek (or really, just a big ol' geek), I love it. Two years ago, we had an exceptionally rainy summer in Calgary which in turn, created lush, flora rich forests. I have never seen so many flowers as I did that year; I have also never seen so many mushrooms. I had the wonderful ambition to write about every species of plant I found but I never got around to writing the posts about them. It was time consuming and the last thing this girl wants to do in the summer is spend copious amounts of time in front of the glitter box computer.

One of my favorite parts of visiting Maui was learning about all the nature I had never in my life EVER experienced. It was an exceptional experience for me, it inspired me to want to move there, pretend I was 23 and study it all at the university. Looking at Rolley's post does a similar thing to me. Australia is so unique from the rest of the world that I am dying to explore, though I'm scared of the spiders. I would have commented on his post but for some reason my blogger profile won't let me. It keeps signing me out, so I thought I'd give him a little shout out and post openly about my feeling for his post.

Good post Rolley, I want to see more! I want to smell the sarsaparilla bottle brush flower too!

[picture credit]

2 comments:

Rolley said...

HEeeeYYYY!!! I haven't commented on your blog for ages, well, I was writing one the other day and then somehow I lost it (must have closed it before clicking the submit button haha).

That's so awesome though, I'm so glad you really liked the quick post about the flowers in my yard : D yippee! You should definitely explore Australia... although, its so big I haven't explored it all yet!!!! If you ever come to this big old island, be sure to let me know so I can tell you all the good spots.

AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT SPIDERS! Mostly spiders are scared and run away, and they aren't sorta all over the place either.... and same with the snakes. Even if you do see one, its no problem (usually); I've had extremely poisonous snakes slither across the track in front of my feet while bushwalking without any drama. I'm sure there's much more dangerous places than here : D hehe.

amourissima said...

Everytime I try to comment on your post it boots me out! Not sure why... so I can't litter your blog with comments anymore. Grrr...

I'm still reading and enjoying though :)

Good to hear about the spiders, I'm kind of scared of spiders but also really interested in them too. Snakes, they don't bother me because I don't know any better. Ignorance IS bliss! :D