Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Perfect Grilled Cheese





There have been times in my life when I haven't always loved food. Awkward teenage years, angsty young adult years, those younger years when all you want to eat is candy, soap and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Grilled cheese sandwiches. They have always been one of my favorite "go to" foods and maybe one of my first ever food obsessions. the first grilled cheese I can remember were these grilled cheese buns my mum used to make for me as a child. Day old hamburger buns, hot dog buns and dinner rolls would be cut in half with thick slices of aged cheddar shoved in the middle, the outer part of the bun spread thickly with salted butter and then placed on a cookie sheet, it would be sent to the oven to sit under the broiler.

Make sure to put it on the lower part of the oven because it has a tendency to burn quickly. Also, it gives the cheese a chance to melt. The house will smell like baked bread and browning butter-- a beautiful smell if you ask me. My mum would place the grilled cheese bun in front of me, I remember how shinny the top of it would be. She often left it in just a second too long so the top would be just a little too dark. The butter would make that outer crust a little salty and inside, the cheese would be a warm, oozy mess. and I would eat, with a glass of milk beside me, and watch Belle and Sebastian.

**

I came across this post from Closet Cooking about How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich


nomnomnomn...

No comments: