Here is a simple sugar cookie recipe to impress your loved ones with on Valentine’s Day. It’s a perfect canvas for decorating on any given holiday.
Basic Sugar Cookies½ cups Softened Butter¾ cups Sugar1 Egg1 teaspoon Vanilla1-½ cup Flour½ teaspoons Baking Powder¼ teaspoons Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the room temperature butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in an egg and then vanilla. On a low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into wet ingredients until everything is incorporated.
- Equally divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until it is firm enough to work with.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about a ¼-inch thickness and cut out shapes as desired. Place the cookies onto parchment paper or a lightly greased baking tray.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, watching closely until the cookies appear to almost turn golden around the edges. I also check the bottoms to see when mine are done as the top might still be very light but if the bottoms are a light golden brown they are done! Let cool completely before frosting.
I like my cookies simple but if you’re in the mood to get more festive, cut out the cookies with a heart-shaped cookie cutter instead of a round one. You can also top it with the icing recipe below.
ICING1 cup Powdered Sugar2 teaspoons Milk, Up To Double The Amount, As Needed2 teaspoons Light Corn Syrup¼ teaspoons Vanilla4 drops Red Food Coloring, If Desired
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and milk until smooth. Mix in the corn syrup and vanilla until smooth and glossy. If it is too thick, add the milk in 1/2 teaspoon increments.
- Add drops of food coloring to each bowl to reach your desired intensity of color. Spread over completely cooled cookies (Top with heart-shaped sprinkles, if desired). Let it sit until the icing is hardened, which takes about 30 minutes to an hour.