Monday, September 16, 2013

Scared Shitless - Cake




This weekend was a shitless, scary weekend for me. Friday I went out, had fun and enjoyed a giant steak (made clean-- no garlic or onions or weird sauce) with potato's and a few glasses of wine. There is this sweet like place just a few blocks from me that is attached to an art gallery. I like to eat there because it's small, not too busy and the food is fantastic. Plus, they have a great wine list to boot! The menu changes seasonally (which is always nice) and is your typical version of Calgary sustainable and organic  style. Prior to this I had gone to historic Inglewood for their night market where a friend of mine from the jewellery days was selling her wares. I bought a ring, got in a hug and some good chats. It was nice.

That day was nice and I had been feeling so good and on top of the world most of the week. I was accountable, and doing motivating and scary things. I felt positive and on the up and up.

Saturday morning, I started to feel uneasy. I had taken a chance and eaten some ketchup (ewww, I know) with some fries the night before. That's a no-no on the FODMAP diet but I figured I was feeling better, I could try it. The next morning showed me different but only a little. I could tell there was a disturbance but I still made it to the gym for 7:00AM and then went grocery shopping and then home, made an "accountable phone call", ate some breakfast and then headed to a play that I was going too with my friend. There I drank wine and enjoy a fantastic production of Kim's Convieance. As soon as it was done, we left... I was maybe a block away and I knew I had an issue on my hands. I needed a washroom right away.

I did what I had to do and knew I could do no more. I jumped in a cab and asked him to drive me home which was 5 blocks away. I spent the night trying to get things back on track and the next day things seemed good. I was able to get to the store for 7:00AM and over to my parents for 8:30AM and then on with my life with hiking and whatnot. Arrived home, headed over to my sisters and then out to dinner. I was strict with my FODMAP's and didn't challenge myself at all. I felt good and by the time the day was over and it was time for cake, I felt as though I could do it all. I thought I could have a slice of cake... and damn if it wasn't all that and more that I had dreamed of since January.

It wasn't until 2:30AM that I start to regret it. I was having a dream about eating spicy and sweet Chinese food with meat and veggies. It was delicious but as most Chinese food does, it turns my tummy a little bit but then as I started to wake up I noticed that I wasn't eating Chinese food while camping, I was laying in bed and I had broken out in a cold sweat and my tummy was starting to hurt something awful. I went to the washroom and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realised that I was pale, and clammy looking.

a half hour later I felt better but couldn't sleep. Whatever it was (probably the cake) was still in my system and didn't stop letting me know that until around noon.

I went to work for the last part of the day. I felt fine minus the mistrust I have with my body. It was something I had eaten and it wasn't unfit food, it was a reaction. It's scary for me to leave the house after something like that happens. Not being able to trust ones body is the worst thing you can possible experience. What I want to do is stay tucked away in my place until I know it is safe to come out but I didn't today. I did the best I could with my tired eyes, put on a comfortable dress to lessen the discomfort from the bloating and walked out the door, focusing on the warmth on the sun and the autumn coolness of the wind. I tried to keep my mind present enough to see that all I needed to do was get to work in one piece because if I focused on trying to deal with my discomfort for 4 hours, I found it over whelming. "baby steps". I made it, all was good and I made it home. The more I push myself the more I relearn to trust my body. I have always been told I need to be more gentle with myself but there are some things that I know if I let them slip, it won't benefit anyone. This was one of them.

My reward for pushing myself was seeing an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time, I almost missed him walking up the sidewalk because I was so intent on just getting to work. I saw him again when I left work, it's funny how that happens.

Today's scary was: Pushing myself even when I didn't trust my self.

Due to the volatile nature of my digestive track these days, I don't trust it to cause me anyhting but discomfort. It has in the past treated me so well as I ate cinnamon bus with extra frosting and blood pudding and plates of cheese and chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can trust it, just right now that hasn't been the case. I worry about public embarrassment, about inconvenience and about being in an uncomfortable situation. I didn't want this to make me the butt end of someones bad joke or shocking day.

Scary Ranking: 6 out of 10 (and for bonus points for continued work on that accountability project I did a few days ago-- it's still in the works)

No comments: