
Tonight's opera (the closing opera to the season) is a comedy...
The Barber of Seville by Rossini (sung in Italian with English subtitles projected above the stage.)
My brother saw this once when he traveled to Germany and he claims it to be his favorite. It's listed as one of the top 10 opera of all times and thankfully doesn't have the staggering heavy notes of most famed Italian operas (take Tosca for example- EVERYBODY dies.). My favorites are still The Marriage of Figaro and La Bohème because of their savory melodies and gentle love stories. So, I am curious about tonight production and hopeful that I have another to add to my small list of recommendations.
So with that note, I will leave you with this... enjoy!
Rabbit of Seville, featuring Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd (1950) @ Yahoo! Video
1 comment:
The Next Day:
What a delightful opera! It was light and airy with heart grasping melodies. The stage production was fantastic as were the performers. It wasn't 4 hours long but close... however, it went by fast because I really enjoyed it. Rossini, you have my heart with your full course scenes and use of irony.
Bravo!
Post a Comment