The First Lesson in Santa 101 is patience.
One of the many ambitions I had in life while growing up was to be a witch. Little did I know that there was a school called The Charles W. Howard Santa Claus School (established in 1937). If I had know of this school earlier then I may have changed my sights and grown a white beard and a big fat jiggly belly. I mean, I already have the cookie binge eating down to an art. Sure. I'm not a man and I'm better with animals then I am with children but I can learn. I just haven't been around them.
Seriously though, was it even conceivable in your mind that there might actually be a Santa Claus school. It's magical in a way.
Charles W. Howard first portrayed Santa Claus in the 4th grade for a school play. He kept playing Santa and his reputation grew; he soon became one of the most sought-after Santa's in the area, and then the whole nation. Between 1948 to 1965, he was the featured Santa Claus in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and perhaps the most visible Santa in the United States. He taught his Santa philosophies and methods to both Santa's and executives from department stores across the country. Charles even went so far as to travel to Australia to teach Santa's there the way of "The Claus".
Charles W. Howard died in 1966 just shy of his 70th birthday. Today, the School continues running under Tom and Holly Valent, who themselves have portrayed Santa and Mrs. Claus for over thirty years.
We all might benefit a little from a touch of Santa school, don't you think? Compassion, patience, and a little magic (never mind a healthy appetite)- all things that we could use more of in our lives.
Class begins at 9:00am on October 7th, 2010.
"Believing...Sincerely in Santa"

No comments:
Post a Comment