I was off work yesterday so I could go to the doctor to get my sick/cooties/cough/blah checked out. My devoted and oh so lovely friend Laura was kind enough to get up early and take me. On our way back while driving down Memorial (one of the major roads in Calgary) which travels along the river we spotted a dog. This dog was large and running like, well, like someone left the back gate open! He had a leash trailing behind him and was having the time of his life! Laura and I look at each other and I say to her "Is that dog missing a person?" to which she replied "Yup" and pulled a 3 lane change and stopped the car. I jumped out expecting the dog to come running into my arms but he just went right on by and turned to start across the busy road. Cars were coming and I jumped on his leash. The dog came to a halt and Laura grabbed him by the collar. We looked around as there is a busy bike path thinking that someone must have just dropped the leash. Everyone just shrugged their shoulders so we put the mystery dog in the back of the car and pulled over into a parking lot. Laura checked his tags which had both his name and a contact phone number on it.
"Hi there, I think I found your dog. Do you own a 'Boomer'?"
The man on the other end of the phone was quiet for a moment
"Oh my goodness, you found him! He was with the dog walker and I guess he got away, I'm just on my way to the airport- you'll have to call her. I can't believe you found him, I am SO happy! I was just beside myself and even considering canceling my trip."
He gave me the name and number of the dog walker, I called as soon as I got off the phone with him. "He just got away from me, I can't believe he got as far as he did. Thank you SO much, I'll meet with you in 15 minutes"
Laura and I waited in the parking lot with Boomer who we discovered was really wet and smelly. I guess on his great escape he had taken full advantage of the river and had him self some fun. I was reminded of the story "Homeward Bound" and wondered if Boomer was missing his master and heading home. The Dog Walker arrived quickly and was so grateful that we had caught Boomer, we passed over his leash to her and got back into the car. As we pulled away we watched as Boomer resisted getting back into the car, he wasn't done running free. She got him in eventually and drove off with her car full of dogs- Boomer watching us with his tongue hanging out from the back window.
No comments:
Post a Comment