Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Surprise Was On Me

It was the day after Christmas when my mother said to me "So, did you get those opera glasses from Ronaye?" Ronaye being my eldest sister, she lives in Vancouver so she always sends my birthday gift over with the Christmas Gifts.


I hadn't opened any opera glasses and since my birthday is a few weeks after Christmas it was easy for me to assume that these opera glasses may very well be... my birthday gift. My mum came to the same conclusion and quickly gasped in an attempt to take the surprise back.


Too late. and I don't forget... so when my birthday celebration with my family came, I knew that I would be the owner of a pair of opera glasses before the night was over.


There I sat, joking as I took the paper off of each package. I love to guess what's inside and I have an uncanny ability of being right almost all the time. Even for things like Marshmallow Machine guns and Meat Thermometers... I have a knack- I think I could give Sylvia Brown and run for her money. When I reached for my sisters present I dramatically pretended to wonder what may be in the package "Hmmm... Could this be opera glasses? Noooooo..." and sure enough it was. What I didn't expect though, was a little note that read:


"Dear Blanche,

Grandma Milne gave these to me many years ago- I love them, but have
never used them, so I thought they'd be better with you! ENJOY!

Love Ronaye and
Brad"


A well of emotions flooded over me and I gingerly picked up the tiny leather case. It was stiff as I lifted the flap and pulled out a dainty pair of old fashion opera glasses. They were sensible black with brass accents. They were perfect.

I started out thinking I knew what to expect but in the end, the surprise was on me and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

No comments: