Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Flashback to 1988


Surfing in Tofino with the Olympic Torch


I was 8 years old when the 1988 Winter Olympics hit Calgary with a boom. And a Chinook- trust Calgary to have +20°c weather during the Winter Olympics. I remember the things that a child would remember from that time... the mascots Hidy and Howdy, the laser shows every night, the opening and closing ceremonies, making nose at the speed skating competition and that crazy pin collecting fad. Fast forward 12 years and I started to meet people who were old enough to party during those times. People with storied of parting with the Jamaican Bobsled team (I'm not allowed to repeat any of those!).... I heard a whole other side of the Olympics and just what joy they had brought to this city. We were the first city to actually make money from the Olympics and for years to come we were applauded for being the best.


The Torch in Drumheller, Alberta (Canada has interesting topography)

Last night, the torch, which has been making it's way across all of Canada (seriously), made it's way into the core of downtown Calgary. Me, Laura and 60,000 other people gathered at "Olympic Plaza" to watch as the torch made it's way here. There were cheers, fireworks and lots of noise. I giggled when the moment finally came, I could tell that it was coming by the growing cheers and the flash bulbs from digital cameras. With my camera ready my heart jumped at the first light I saw- which turned out to be a camera man. Ooops. He was leading the way for the torch and filming the whole things... so I got pictures of the camera man but NOT of the torch. I did see the torch though and it was pretty awesome. I can't help but feel sentimental and lovey to others during the Olympics (except during the hockey games when I get a little too serious for everyone involved). Sure, there are the "realists" that get grouchy over "misused tax dollars" and "a major road being blocked off for 3 hours" but I don't care... it's something special so why not indulge a little and maybe take a different way home- it's only one day.


The Torch at the most furthest north it's ever been Alert, Nunavut


So now, as Vancouver is counting down the days I wish the same experience for them. I wish for them prosperity, celebration and unity. All the things that the Olympics should stand for but seem to have lacked the last few years.

No comments: