Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Clear Wing Humming Bird Moth


I'd like a coat made out of moth fur please

I just learnt about this insect on the radio. I was listening to some nature programme ( I think, I can't always be true) and they were talking about how rare it is to find a Hummingbird in the North West Territories of Canada. They have had eight reported sightings since 1989 so really, you have a better chance of seeing a UFO than a Hummingbird. This woman on the radio claimed that she saw one, at first thinking it was a Dragon Fly and then realising that its movements didn't match those of a Dragon Fly- it was more like a Hummingbird.

However, with the rareness of Hummingbirds in the Northern Province it was suspected by a nature specialist that it was more than likely a The Clear Wing Humming Bird Moth- a moth whose habits mimic those of a Humming Bird perfectly and only being a touch bit bigger.

That, to me, is a BIG moth (see video below)


Doesn't it look like a flying Lobster in a Bumble Bee disguise? Moths don't bother me unlike spiders so I find this pretty interesting but I know my friend Laura hates them. She hates all bugs but Moths are one of her top 5 most hated bug.

What do you think, does this moth creep you out?




picture borrowed from Google Images

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Hi there,

First off let me apologize for this comment being so all-over-the-place and for being addicted to dashes.

I found your blog by asking Google why Pirate cookies are called Pirate cookies. I found your explanation the most compelling. Have you discovered anything more?

Recognizing your wisdom and wit I browsed through a few more of your posts and you piqued my curiosity more than once.

Did you see the Labyrinth reenactment at the Choose Your Own Adventure Festival? The potential for its amazingness literally floored me.

Also curious if you've seen the movies "Once" and "Midnight Ballad for Ghost Theatre." I suspect you'd love "Once" and MBFGT is campy goodness with the potential to be this generation's Rocky Horror.

Take care.

amourissima said...

Kyle,

What a flattering comment and thank you kindly for your fantastic insights! You've got my style pegged but then I don't really hide much on my blog.

Welcome to my little blog, please feel free to make yourself at home here!

Anne said...

Awesome video! I have hummingbird moths in my garden in Haddam, CT (USA) & I love watching them. Thanks for your video, so that I can better draw the creature.
Anne

amourissima said...

Thanks Anne for the comment! It is a great video isn't it. Such fantastic little creatures.

Enjoy your drawing adventure!