We have a lotto pool at work- 10 exclusive people get to put all their money together, sign a contract and play the lotto. I don't know how I got involved- I think part of it was the original organizers thought I was lucky. Well, I haven't been... we haven't won anything and I've never really played the lotto before. The skeptic in my says that the chances of me winning anything significant are 1 in 1 million. Actually, I just Googled my chances and they are 1 in 28,633,528 (according to Wikipedia where everything is true.). I'm not a gabbling woman, I've done enough gambling with my heart that I know that no one ever really wins.
Exhibit A:
Mr. D. W.
This man plays the lotto like John Mayer plays the ladies. Lots of action, lots of games but nothing really pays out in the end. Mr. D.W. is even in a lotto pool with the guy who sells him his lotto tickets. For real. I asked him a little while ago, "D, what is the most money you have ever won?" and do you know what Mr. D.W. said to me? "about $300". That's true, he always plays but never wins.
My chances mixed with Exhibit A. really do tell me that I have a much better chance of actually earning the money I would win in the lotto than actually winning at the lotto. So, I've decided that I want to quit- I haven't actually quit yet but I want to. I think it's a waste of money but the lotto bug has one little tooth in me- I think "what if I quit and they win. Big." What would I do then? Is it worth the $156 a year to play knowing that my chances of winning are 1 in 28,633,528 (then split 10 ways with the other people participating in the lotto pool).
Actually, I just looked into things a bit further- These stats are based on the Lotto Max which is Canada's biggest jackpot. When I look at the other lotteries available my chances seem a bit better...
Lotto 6/49: chances of winning the big jackpot: 1 in 13,983,816
Payday: chances of winning the big jackpot: 1 in 1,353,275
a little better odds, don't you agree? Is it worth it? I can't decide...Most of the rational brain believes that it isn't going to happen but the small part, the magical thinking part believes that it might. I don't want play anymore but it is just $3 a week but I'm almost certain I'm not going to get anything from it, but I might. Argh.
Have you ever won the lottery before? Even just a free ticket or $25.00?

No comments:
Post a Comment