Thursday, January 7, 2010

What A Rest Can Do For You

yes, this is me being "loved to death" by 3 Golden Retrievers and 1 Sheba Inu

Working in sales for 13 years did something to me where Christmas is concerned. Like a double edged sword I started in retail working at a high end jewelery store, selling shiny things to people who well... often had too much money. Our busiest time was Christmas which meant that I was busy selling and making money, far too busy to actually spend it and enjoy Christmas. When I finally got sick of that life and entered into the world of paper pushing and 9-5 hours I was delighted to have the flexibility to take the last few weeks off in December.

It's become almost part of the gluttony to enjoy the relaxation of the holiday season. I get my Christmas shopping done early and take full advantage of all the festivities going on. I stay away from the malls, eat, sleep and enjoy too much- it's delightful. This year was my first full on indulgence- I enjoyed my time off so much that I honestly forgot what day it was. I was only off work for 12 days but it was enough for me become a woman of leisure. I will admit that I dragged my feet all the way to work on Monday but when I got there I was recharged and ready to get my stuff done. I fell in love with my job again and I feel very optimistic about 2010. It was the perfect time off- the office was only open for 3 days of my 12 days off so I didn't have much work to catch up on. I just to deal with one broken ankle and a bunch of enrolment cards- not to shabby at all!

I spent time out of the city where I could enjoy the mountains and fresh air. I played in the snow like a child and ran with the dogs like I was part of the pack. I enjoyed a bit of the Calgary culture I'd been ignoring the last few months, found new places to eat and shop. Enhanced my senses and took a lot of pictures. I woke up in the morning not even looking at the time and read till I felt it was time to make a lavish breakfast. I have to brag- I felt so good! I can honestly say that this was the first time in a long time that I actually felt relaxed- I understood what the word meant. Finally...

1 comment:

Roll said...

AWESOME, i LOVE forgetting what day it is, until that moment when someone says "what are ya doin on Saturday" and then you go "um.. i dunno ay, shit, what day is it today?" hehe - then you run around trying to find a calendar or something that tells you (usually the computer).

Seriously though, holidays are awesome, I'm glad you had a great time, and relaxed. I'd probably die from the inside out if I never took holidays and lost my time-sense on a semi regular basis, this season I took 21 days off! HAHA! I totally owned your 12 days off hehe.

hehe, the word verification is almost "undies", it's "undes" hah.