Friday, March 12, 2010

And So Then The Dermatologist Said-


I worry to much.

Really... I wasn't aware of that (I'm being sarcastic). I'm worrying less then I was about life since I decided that I would cut back on the worry in November (it actually worked, I'm rather please!). I'm still adjusting to my 'new age' though so I am still learning.

I went to the dermatologist yesterday to talk about my skin. I am worried about wrinkles, I am worried about skin cancer and I am worried that it's all downhill from here. I've never really been one to fuss too much so I didn't really start taking care of my skin until last year. I've always been one to wear sunscreen on my face and wash my makeup off before I go to sleep but other then that- I never really cared. Slowly though, the paranoia sets in... I hear it on TV, from my co-workers and read about it in books. Anti-aging this and wrinkle cream that. 75% increase in skin cancer if you did this before you turned 30... EEEK! I didn't know what to do or where to go so, I went where my gut told me to go- to a professional. I don't trust the Internet, I don't trust magazines, I really don't trust the people trying to sell me the products.


So I sat there, swinging my feet as I waiting for the doctor to come and give me my consultation. She walked in and smiled, asking me "So, what can I do for you" I told her everything that was running through my head. I pointed out my creases, wrinkles and spots. I expressed my concern for this area and that and she just listened attentively. When I was done she looked me square in the eyes and told me "you are worrying too much." She told me that my skin looked amazing, it was in great condition and didn't show any signs of premature aging. It's normal to have a few lines here or there and it would be unnecessary for me to do any of the treatments they offer. I could get a little Botox but it wasn't necessary right now. She didn't start using it until she was more in her 40's. Her advise for me:

-Keep doing what I'm doing
-Exfoliate 3 times a week
-I could introduce a serum into my beauty regime (she gave me a sample, it's really quit lovely)
-Wear sunscreen but it's okay to get a bit of sun every once in a while.
-Drink lots of water, eat well and enjoy life
-Oh, and stop stressing about it and stop using those magnifying mirrors (you know the ones).

So with that she sent me on my way, I felt silly for being so worried but reassured by all the information I was given. In 10 years I'll revisit the topic but for now, I'm going to give myself a break. I was concerned that I would look back 10 years from now and regret not doing anything about it. Now I'm just concerned that in 10 years I'm going to look back and wish I didn't spend so much time worrying about it.





photo borrowed from Google Images

2 comments:

Roll said...

Yeah just chill out a bit I reckon! Creams and all that stuff is rubbish, nothing beats sunscreen with a healthy diet and an active life style. yay for being healthy above all else!

amourissima said...

I should have just gone and asked you Sir Rolley, you are the great wiseone! Next time :)