Friday, March 19, 2010

That's A Rap

That was a rap or at least it was last night. As mentioned before, I went to the Trans Canada Music Fest to see the "PopRocks" series of the event. I wasn't surprised that I was delighted by all the delicious and diverse melodies produced by local Alberta talent. Some of it was stuff I had heard before (maybe later I will tell you about how I stalk Mark Hamilton from Woodpigeon- okay not really, but close) and other stuff I wasn't even excepting.


Stuff like The Joe, at first I admit, I was kind of intimidated. He was the kind of person who stood on stage and made eye contact with the people in the audience- real eye contact. The kind that you know you are being seen by him. At the same time, he was sprouting off a string of witty, dry lines that were just sarcastic enough to be enduring as apposed to arrogant. Then, he started rapping. For real- a white rapper from Edmonton? And he was good, not that I know that much about rap or what is good and what isn't good but I liked it and to me, he sounded a talented young lad. Really talented. He was the audience favorite as well, I could tell this by all the whooping and hollering.


Impressed, I Googled him (The Joe) and found his MySpace page (which I can't access at work because all that is fun and social networking is banned at my work) as well as a write up on him in Calgary's weekly magazine, FFWD.

Here's a video he created, yes... there is a whole lotta Edmonton in there:





If you ever get a chance to see "The Joe" live, do it. He puts on an awesome live show and even for someone who doesn't dig rap at all, it works for me. He's great.




Image borrowed from FFWD (article linked above)

No comments: