
The times, they are a changing- slowly. According to the Canadian Fiance Minister it appears that Canada will be adopting the trend of Polymer bank notes as apposed to the cotton-based paper bills that we currently use. They will be introduced late next year as a way to modernize the currency and crack down on counterfeiting. The change over has been implemented in many countries such as New Zealand and appears to have gone rather well. With positive changes seen in environmental impact, cost in production of currency and fewer counterfeit notes being created. In Canada the bills are expected to have a revamped design which includes a window that prevents it form being photocopied.
I can't even imagine what these new bank notes might feel like, I am reminded of a set of playing cards that were considered "anti-tear" and made out of a very thin Polymer plastic type material. Very easy to clean which is kind of exciting!
As for the coins, they will be taking on a bit of a revamp as well. Though they will look and feel much like the current ones that will be a change in the composition. Using the same patented multi-ply plated steel technology technology which was adapted in 2000 for Canadian nickles, dimes and quarters. This is a less expensive process then making coins primarily made of nickle and copper.
As for the coins, they will be taking on a bit of a revamp as well. Though they will look and feel much like the current ones that will be a change in the composition. Using the same patented multi-ply plated steel technology technology which was adapted in 2000 for Canadian nickles, dimes and quarters. This is a less expensive process then making coins primarily made of nickle and copper.
With all this new "plastic" money I will no longer be able to say that I have "burnt" through my cash. Perhaps the term "melted" or "boiled" might be more appropriated (Hehe- had to say it).
And what exactly do they plan to make Canadian Tire money out of?
So what do you think? Have you ever used Polymer bank notes before? I am curious to hear some feedback that isn't funneled through the Internet or media.
3 comments:
I have encountered these plastic bills with the window before. My memory tells me it was an Australian bill.
This is the first I heard about Canada's plans. Bummer. It certainly poses a few problems with the old "torn and restored" money trick.
ay! We've been using notes like this in Australia for so long I can't even remember the paper notes, they were a thing of my early childhood years in the 1980s haha :D
The plastic notes are good, they'll go through the washing fine which is an added bonus. However, be careful about sneaky notes literally jumping from your pocket, they're sort of more 'springy' if you catch my drift, and if you pull a bunch of stuff out of your pocket they sorta spring out all over the place a bit. HEH HEH
Overall they're really good, colourful, different sizes for each note, and so on. I reckon they don't fold that great though compared to a paper note which you can easily just crease and fold in half neatly.
It's funny though, I rarely even have cash notes or coins on me, everything is electronic these days! Most people I know are the same :)
Rolley, since the 1980's??? Holy monkey! Canada is SO behind! Good advise on the springy-ness of the notes, that means I may have to buy a new wallet! I still use cash a lot, it's a good way for me to keep my finances in check and sometimes it's just easier. I'm pretty excited to put my new bank notes in the washing machine :)
Ryan, you'll just have to melt the money instead! Now THAT would be ever more impressive!
Post a Comment