
My mum has a Pheasant living in her backyard. Okay, my MUM doesn't but her BFF who lives down the road does. My mum just gets the male on her fence pounding his chest and acting like a typical cock. Seriously. The men are really very pretty birds, especially when seeing them for the first time in person. It was about a week ago when I saw a green, red and speckled bird hiding in the bush. I stopped the car because I thought it was a turkey until it flew away displaying its elegant plumage and long tail feathers.

The lady birds which are much less showy then the male (often the case with almost all birds) are notorious for being neglectful mothers. Not only do they just lay their eggs in any ol' bush but they will take off, leaving the nest unattended for hours and sometimes days on end. Tisk-tisk Lady Pheasant! So, I'm hoping that this nest that my mum's BFF has in her backyard will survive. There is a jerky little red squirrel who thinks himself to be the ruler of the neighbourhood, I really do hope that he doesn't find the nest and decided to have a gourmet dinner of unhatched Pheasant eggs. Especially if the mother is off at the near by waterhole (South Glenmore Park) trying to get in good with the Geese and Swans.
Time will only tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment