Last night I had a feast that was fit for Christmas- a British Christmas at that. All that as missing was a loud Italian family and presents (at least that is what my Christmas usually ends up being like).
my nut roast looked better but it was eaten before a picture could be taken
A friend and I made Nut Roast, a tradition Christmas dish with the vegetarian in mind. Pish-posh carnivores, I can hear you all groan at the mere idea of "vegetarian" but trust me, this is one of the few dishes that doesn't taste better when you add meat. It's amazing all on it's own. This recipe comes over the ocean from jolly ol' England directly from Laura's grandmother. It's authentic and simple-
Cashew Nut Roast
Ingredients
1 Large Onion diced
4 tablespoons corn oil
4oz Brazil Nuts
2oz Walnuts
2oz Cashew Nuts
4oz Breadcrumbs
Liquid Vegetable Stock (I use Knorr in a jar but you could use a veggie cube).
big pinches of sage, oregano and basil
salt and pepper
2 eggs (it calls for 1 egg but I find it a bit crumbly so I add another to make it stick better)
Method
1. Turn the oven on to 200°C (about 400/425°F)
2. Heat the oil and fry the onion gently until transparent.
3. While the onions are frying grind the nuts up (I use my Magic Bullet)
You can use any combination of raw, unsalted nuts in whatever quantities you like as long as the
add up to about 8oz (I often put a little more in and use Almonds, Hazelnuts,Walnuts,
Raw Cashews, Brazil Nuts etc..).
4. Make your breadcrumbs (grind up in your food processor or liquidizer).
5. Once the onions are soft add all remaining ingredients and combine well.
6 Prepare you load tin by lining the bottom and at least 2 sides with baking parchment, it will
come out a lot easier if you use the parchment.
7. Press the mixture firmly into the prepared loaf pan. Use some cling film to push it down.
8. Cover the top with foil. Pop in the middle of a heated over and cook for 30-40 mins.
Have a look after 30 mins. If you have a hot oven keep an eye on the loaf or it will get
overcooked at the edges.
9. Leave for 5 mins to settle and then tip it out and eat it!!
Serve hot with Mushroom Gravy
Feeds about 4 people with big appetites.
So we had a plethora of steamed veggies, baby potato's and nut loaf dressed up to the nines in mushroom gravy. Due to the fact that the recipe is so simple, it only took about an hour before the table was served and we were ready to devour our piping hot feast.
Delicious, I honestly think you should try it.
hat tip to the oh-so-British Barrett Family

No comments:
Post a Comment