Friday, July 23, 2010

Folk Fest Friday

Today is day 2 of The Calgary Folk Festival. For the first time EVER Friday gates will be opening at - wait for it-.... 3pm! Usually it takes to the same tune at Thursday but this year, no! Gates open at 3pm with 3 stages going. 2 smaller side stages with artist collaborations and then the main stage. Just think, you and 3 other bands, together, jamming on the same stage. No rhyme or reason just pure music... Magic happens on the smaller stages.

The Main Stage Acts are a bunch of people I have no idea who they are. Aside from Swell Season


Frank Turner
The Folk Fest page says the following about him "(UK) Folk, Indie, Punk, Singer-Songwriter.
Folk-punk strummery from a post-millennial troubadour who vociferously preaches the gospel of action."

He looks cute enough. I'll give him a listen
 
 
 
Joe Henry
Again, another unknown in my little world. The site says the following about him...
"(USA) Americana, Roots, Singer-Songwriter. Producer extraordinaire and the creator of memorable, intelligent lullabies that detail the lives of heroes and ordinary folks." I like lullabies about heroes and ordinary folks.



Shakura S'Aida
"(Switzerland / Canada) Blues, Funk, Soul/Gospel. Gives life to ‘40s and ‘50s blues, performs original, funky, boundary-pushing songs and acts in films and theatre". Who doesn't like the sound of that?


(USA) Folk, Indie, Roots, Singer-Songwriter
I don't even need to go into detail because I did already. The highlight of my night!
Favorite Songs:
The Moon
When Your Minds Made Up
All The Way Down
Leave
Gold
Low Rising
I Have Loved You Wrong

Oh gosh darn, just the whole batch! So excited...


Michael Franti and Spearhead
(USA) Funk, Hip Hop. All I know about this guy is Laura doesn't like him. I'm not sure why... I guess I'll have to find out the story later. Folk Fest says "A global troubadour who moves hearts, minds and limbs with his passionate soulful and funky protest music."

This is going to be my Friday night-but better. I'm so excited...

No comments: