
In my humble, honest opinion... the people who live below me stink. Seriously. They smoke (strike #1) and they cook cabbage (strike # infinity). The worst part about the cabbage smell is it travels and once a week I catch a waft of it in this one tiny little section of my place. Gross.
I use to rebel with things like air freshener, candles, incense and a whole lot of complaining. Now I fight back with baking and cooking smells of my own. Today my weapon of choice was Banana Bread- Mmmmmmm...
Tonight my place smells just like a grandmothers house and it's comforting. My recipe usually yields 2 regular loafs but I decided that tonight would be perfect for mini loafs. I ended up with 3 loaves to give away, 1 to keep for myself and 2 of them I ate before they were fully cooled down. SO GOOD! I was a little concerned that my over ripe bananas which I keep tucked away in the freezer may have been in the freezer a bit too long (3 months) but they were perfect!
Here is the recipe:
Banana Bread a'La Blanche
I cup (250ml) of butter
2 cups (500ml) of granulated sugar
3 cups (750ml) of mashed ripe bananas (6 bananas)
4 Eggs, well beaten
2 1/2 cups (625ml) of flour
2 tsp (10ml) Baking Soda
1 tsp (5ml) of salt
1 tsp (5ml) of Nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add Bananas and eggs and beat until well mixed. Combine dry ingredients and blend with banana mixture, but DO NOT over mix (I usually put down the beater and take out my old wooden spoon and fold the dry ingredients in). Pour into 2 Lightly greased loaf pans or 6 mini loaf pans or a bunt pan. Bake 55 minutes (45 for the mini loafs- I usually tell by smell when they are done) to about 1 hour. Test for doneness (toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean) and cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Eat. Yum!
So this is my recipe for a natural and easy air freshener. Try it out for yourself!
I sometimes sprinkle things like nuts, chopped up banana chips or chocolate on top before baking to make them a little tastier and even prettier but tonight I didn't. I was just all about smell and ease.
picture borrowed from Google Images becasu I ate mine. Story of my life.
2 cups (500ml) of granulated sugar
3 cups (750ml) of mashed ripe bananas (6 bananas)
4 Eggs, well beaten
2 1/2 cups (625ml) of flour
2 tsp (10ml) Baking Soda
1 tsp (5ml) of salt
1 tsp (5ml) of Nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add Bananas and eggs and beat until well mixed. Combine dry ingredients and blend with banana mixture, but DO NOT over mix (I usually put down the beater and take out my old wooden spoon and fold the dry ingredients in). Pour into 2 Lightly greased loaf pans or 6 mini loaf pans or a bunt pan. Bake 55 minutes (45 for the mini loafs- I usually tell by smell when they are done) to about 1 hour. Test for doneness (toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean) and cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Eat. Yum!
So this is my recipe for a natural and easy air freshener. Try it out for yourself!
I sometimes sprinkle things like nuts, chopped up banana chips or chocolate on top before baking to make them a little tastier and even prettier but tonight I didn't. I was just all about smell and ease.
picture borrowed from Google Images becasu I ate mine. Story of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment