Yesterday, after work I bought a Hula Hoop. I've never had a Hula Hoop before so I thought what better time then now. It's pink, it's sparkly, it's from Walmart and for some strange reason it's filled with water. Oh and it was only $6.00 (score).
I got home at 9PM and after an hour I had the rhythm down. Clockwise and counter clockwise, which ever way you want it I can do it. Sure, there were a few instances when the hoop became air born, flying across the room and hitting the strangest, most breakable things. As well, I'm sure the people who live below me might have been getting annoyed at the sound of the hoop slapping on the ground 7 times a minute as I learned to keep it swiveling on my waist. I stayed up well past midnight playing with it (wearing a scratch and sniff t-shit I bought in the Old Navy kids section- I'm never going to grow up).
This morning as I let the curlers in my hair cool I slipped the hoop around my waist and found:
A) I didn't loose my knack over night (I worried about that when I learnt to knit too)
B) I had bruised my waist and it hurt, I'll have to do something about that.
I'm excited to keep learning. I learnt that I bought a hoop that is too small for my body and that I can actually make one out of tubing. Sort of like the ones the dancers use at Folk Fest. They always look so sultry and gypsy like swaying their hips with a simple hoop around their waist. I wonder what they would think of me with my mass produced, water filled, kids hoop?
Doesn't matter, I'm having fun.
Is there anything that you wishes that you had as a child that you finally bought when you were an adult?

2 comments:
Dear blogger, may I ask where you found the image of the little girl with the hula hoop? I love it and would like to use it for a book cover, only I need to find it hi-res...
Thanks
miki
I found it using Google Images:
http://sg.stopsmokingcentre.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=71898&forum=20&topictitle=Hulu%20Hoop&forumname=General%20Discussion
I do not know where it originates from, sorry.
Post a Comment