
I declare, I say, I do declare November Nose Washing Month. Sexy sounding isn't it! Wait, it gets better- some of you may be familiar with the terms Saline Sinus Rinse, Neti Pot, Nasal Rinse, Nasal Lavage... they are all forms of Nasal Irrigation. Unattractive, yes (Oh YES) but helpful- VERY. At first, when my doctor told me to try it a few years ago I was so resistant because I remember the feeling of getting water up my nose; not a pleasant feeling I wanted to induce on myself. NO freaking way! As stubborn as I can be, with the assistance of Laura holding my hand though the first time- it actually wasn't that bad. Better yet is it cleaned up a persistent sinus infection I was routinely getting without the aide of any medication. For real!
More recently I received an email with simple yet effective tips on preventive measures regarding the up and coming cold and flu season. The usual "Wash your hands, don't touch your face (that's my downfall, I always have my fingers all over my face), eat healthy, stay active, get a proper nights sleep and stay hydrated" mantra, this list also included saline rinse. One being as a gargle for the throat (I'm sure many of you have used salt and warm water to help with a sore throat- it really does help!) used daily, the other being for the nose.
My doctor said to me 'Would you go through the day without washing your hands, face or brushing your teeth?" I said "No, but my nose knows how to clean its self, doesn't it?" to that she responded "It does, however... it doesn't hurt. Would you sweep your floor for the rest of your life or would you wash it once a week in between sweeping. Either way, it helps to clean the dust that collects however rinsing will be that much more effective."
So with that, I'm going to keep up my nasal rinse schedule for the month of November to see how it helps me and if you're brave enough too, maybe you should try it! I use this "all in one" stuff that my doctor and pharmacist recommended. The company is called NeilMed Pharmaceuticals and the product I use is the basic Sinus Rinse with the packages and bottle and stuff. I'm not hardcore enough to use the little Neti pot thing... I like to make it as easy as possible on myself!
Let me know if you try it!
1 comment:
HAHA! I've always had sinus issues, I tried lots of things.. once I even went without dairy products for 6 months, no joke, ME, no DAIRY!? PFFT! Well... I did.. luckily it made no difference and I reverted back to being a dairy glutton.
ANYWAY.. side tracked there. I've been rinsing my sinuses this year and well, I reckon its great. It really does make a difference. Big time.
The first time I did it I put about 2cm of salt in a cup and half filled the cup with warm water, stirred it around and oh.my.goodness.... burnt the hell out of my sinuses!!! It was hilarious in a really painful way hah.. but yeah, I just use plain warm water now.
Ever had your ears done? I did once!! My ear got blocked, yeah, gross hey, and um, I had the doctor rinse it all out, MAN it was weird, totally weird. It made my ear bleed a little too.. blerhh! : s Glad I did it though cuz it made a huge difference!
Okay I'm starting to dribble crap now, better go get my morning coffee. Au revoir!
Post a Comment