Thursday, January 7, 2010

Little Christmas


It was a few weeks before Christmas and all through the house
not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
I sat by the computer Googling things with care,
in hopes that free Airmiles soon would be near.


True story!


I ended up doing a search for "Christmas" just for fun and found myself in Wikipedia reading all about it. Down near the bottom I saw a sub link titled "Little Christmas" - being little myself I though "Hmmm.. This sounds like a Christmas made JUST for me!" Well, my goodness... if that wasn't the best little find- I was delighted! Enter NEW Tradition!

The origins of Little Christmas (also know as Woman's Christmas) came from Ireland. Back in the day when woman did all the house work and men were expected to never lift a finger, the ladies were given a break on January 6Th when for one day the roles would change. Men all across Ireland would let their wives rest and send them out to the pub while they stayed home to tend to the chores. As time passed and the roles became more flexible the tradition has shifted somewhat. Still mildly popular in areas such as Cork the tradition has become more of a "girls night out" then anything else.

Being a sentimental girl who loves to eat who am I to scoff at a chance to take advantage of Ye Olde Tradition (even if I am of Canadian-Italian heritage). Had a lovely little dinner with my lovely little friend Rheann over a lovely little glass of Gamay with a lovely little dish of bubbly, gourmet Mac and Cheese and a little side salad. Mmmmm...

Much like my Menorah (yes I light a Menorah every year even though I am not Jewish) I hope this becomes another part of my collective cherry picked Christmas Traditions.

Happy Little Christmas everyone!


No comments: