It was at Rouge when I first fell in love with food. Real love, the kind they write books and make movies about. I was tucked away in a cozy corner with the chilly October night all around the outside of the old red heritage house. I remember cream soups with flavors that matched my autumn mood, tender bison and perfectly paired wine. Love. Pure love.
Again, a similar experience greeted me a few years later when I rang in the New Years with the people at Rouge. Sable fish with Parmesan Mousse, glasses of champagne, a pretty cocktail dress and food to win over the Gods.
Fast forward a few years later to a bitterly cold Wednesday evening, January 14th (my birthday). It was quiet, we were the only people -aside from one other couple- about to enjoy some eats. The waiter tipped down and asked me in a French Canadian accent "Would you like the 7 course meal? The Chef, he would like to make it special for you". Delighted- I accepted the challenge and told the serve "Tell the chef that we have no boundaries- the sky is the limit!" and that was all I had to say. Dish after dish of delicious delights danced out in front of me- each more different then the last. Experiment after experiment- everything was mouth watering and amazing. By the end of it all I was beyond elated that I couldn't contain myself- in a moment of glee I mentioned that I was so pleased that I could run into the kitchen and kiss everyone involved. The waiter stepped a side and with a gesture to the kitchen said "by all means-". So I pranced into the kitchen and exclaimed with sheer delight that this had to have been the best meal of my life, tears were in my eyes as I hugged and kissed each chef.
Nothing will ever top that moment.
That is why I wasn't surprised to read yesterday that Rouge was listed as one of the top 100 restaurants in the world- THE WORLD. I am sure there are many reasons why it has been listed as one of the top 100, everything is top notch without being the least bit pretentious. It swallows you up in such a comforting experience that for years it has continuously out shined anything in Calgary- in my honest opinion. Congrats Rouge on the notable nod and if you haven't been to it, go- oh... and take me with you. Promise?


2 comments:
That's wonderful! Have you seen Mostly Martha - the German version not the K Z Jones one? Although both are equally "foody"
I beleive that I have seen Mostly Martha. I love movies like that! Just wonderful!
Post a Comment