Wednesday, November 4, 2009

40 Years

Happy Birthday Sesame Street also known to me AS the Happiest Place on EARTH. Mind you, I have never been to Disney anything or spent much time in Vegas so my opinion might be a bit bias- regardless... knowing what I know, to me. it's the happiest place on earth and has been for many people since it came in through their TVs 40 years ago!

There have been a few episodes that have stuck out for me from my child hood years, one aired on American Thanksgiving 1983- "Farewell, Mr. Hooper". In this episode Big Bird deals with the death of Mr. Hooper, the shop owner of Mr. Hooper's Shop- the actor who played Mr. Hooper passed away in real life a few months before the show was taped. I remember being awestruck by the rawness of the story line even at the tender age of 3 and feeling empathetic towards the loss Big Bird must be feeling.
Farewell, Mr Hooper 1983
Another one being the Christmas Eve special from before I was born. I always loved it because Oscar the Grouch had LEGS- actually... EVERYONE had legs. Awesome. And is it just me does Big Birds legs remind anyone else of Licorice Alsorts?

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street 1978



I love taking a trip down a 1980's Sesame Street mind trip, have a great day!




No comments: