Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Night Of Tragedy


Last night I went to see Manon, an opera by french composer Jules Masssenet. At first I wasn't sure about it, the first scene was a lot of "Opera Sing Talk" which is my way of saying it's just a bunch of monotone sing/talking as they try to establish characters and a plot. The scene was fun to watch as it was a busy court yard in 18th century France- it was however at this point that my mind started to wander and I distracted myself with dresses I should wear to Friday's Christmas party. I couldn't stop thinking about THIS dress I saw on the ever fabulous Bon Bon Rose blog. I truly am obsessed. I didn't buy it though because I'm not sure if it will fit me (I'm a runt at 5'2" and 90 lbs. XXS was not listed as a size choice *sigh*) I still can't stop thinking about it. It's very Betty Draper (first season). So yes, anyway.. I was nice and distracted for the first scene of Manon.It did get better as the opera moved along, the arias (my favorite part of opera) started to surface and the "Opera Sing Talk" melted away.

Intermission came- time for a little Egg Nog and Rum. (Mmm... Rum Rolley- though I doubt you'd mix anything with your rum)

The second side of the opera came and it was a flurry of scenes, glorious costumes and tragedy. Yes, that's right... who would have thought tragedy would be found in an opera. Star crossed lovers, gluttony, racy seduction in a church all ending with a serious case consumption (the only way to die in those days it seems). I admit, I got a little choked up.

On a lighter note, earlier that night Manon wasn't the only tragedy I encounter. My father and I always go for dinner before the show- some place downtown that is easy for him and myself to get to so we can after take the train up to the Auditorium. Having had a huge lunch with my friend Rheann earlier I just wanted something light. A salad or even a grilled cheese sandwich (Mmmmm...) I decided on a nice glass Shiraz and the Grilled Cheese Sandwich with a creamy tomato bisque. when the server brought it to the table, it looked delicious. Thick with cheese and grilled to a buttery brown I bit into it. Brie and Cheddar- interesting combination.. oh wait.. what is that. Oh My Goodness... crab. Crab in my grilled cheese sandwich- WHAT THE HELL! I like sea critter, especially the bottom feeders like lobster and crabs but in my grilled cheese sandwich? I ate some more, the was something OFF about it... something not right. Could it be? Nooooo... it couldn't- it was! Imitation Crab Meat IN my grilled cheese sandwich- sick! Who does that?

That was my night in a nut shell, or maybe I should say 18th century crab shell. It was fun and though I'm tired today it was worth it to spend that time with my Dad.



No comments: