Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Day I Met Bruce Springsteen


There is something a little odd, a little special and even a little surreal about walking through a store only to come across one of the biggest names in Americana Rock- just sitting there. Waiting. like any other man waiting for his wife and daughter to finish trying on clothes. There he was, Bruce Springsteen. I caught him out of the corner of my eye over a rack of Rock and Republic skinny jeans. I didn't know what to do. Should I look again? I muttered under my breath to Jenn C. "I think that's Bruce Springsteen waiting over there in the boyfriend chairs". Slyly she took a peak and looked back at me "Are you sure? We should ask someone. He looks so young!" I looked again and I caught his eye- he smiled. I quickly looked away and pretended to be occupied by some dresses on the rack beside me.

It was him.

I could just tell by the vibrancy of the staff. It was as if head office had made a visit. Managers were on the sales floor ushering staff and clients around with exaggerated smiles and over extended courtesy all while keeping an eye on the man sitting in the black rain coat.

I wondered to my self, should I approach this man? Does he just want to be left alone? No one was fussing around him- all he was doing was waiting. Patiently.When will I ever get a chance like this again? To at least say hello to what some would call, a legend. However by the time I had made up my mind he was gone. My chance was gone or so I thought, until I made my way to the cosmetic department- determined to get my eyebrows waxed. There he sat, at the Nars counter- waiting. Again. I walked up to him without hesitation and said "Mr. Springsteen? My name is Blanche, it is a pleasure to meet you in person. May I shake your hand?" He reached out, again, with the warm smile that had been on his face when I first saw him. His grip was firm and I was the first to let go. I was taken back by how approachable and comfortable he was. Idle chit chat was made and we were on our way after a few short minutes. I'm really glad I didn't say anything strange like if his feet were starting to become webbed after all the rain we have been having this month.

After another good 3/4's of an hour we made our way back through the store and who was still sitting in the cosmetic department was The Boss himself- still, waiting. For his wife. I smiled, waved and gave him a little wink and he waved back. An acknowledgement of his patience.

Bruce Springsteen- I'm on Fire

"I can take you higher"

Today was just suppose to be just another day for me. Go to work, eat lunch, go shopping, get my eyebrows waxed and go to bed in good time to be rested for the next day of my life. Today was a little special, a little odd and even a little surreal- I met Bruce Springsteen. How many times in my life time will I ever get the chance to say that again?


 

Image borrowed from Last FM

6 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

Cool!!
I have daydreams like that about Sting. So far I've only seen the back of his head in Chapters.

Haley Sue said...

WOW. I'm jealous but totally happy for you! That is such a cool story :) how fun to have that memory now!

Ryan said...

Bruce probably doesn't know it, but he was the fortunate one to have bumped into you.

Suse said...

Well, lordy! How cool is that?!!

amourissima said...

Clever Pupm Nothing is better then the back of Stings head ;) I only saw him from a distance when he came to Calgary with Annie Lenox.
*
Sue, Yeah- I think it's a pretty good memory.
*
Oh Ryan, if he only knew.
*
Suse, I know! So excellent!

Bathwater said...

I got to admit I never notice anyone famous.