Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wedding Bells

I get it now.

My lovely girlfriend, Rheann got married on Saturday and my goodness... what a fabulous day that was. Actually the whole weekend was fantastic.

Friday:
Took the day off, the other girls in the wedding party (plus bride) met at my place so we could walk over to Urban Venus to get our nails and toes done. Best toes and hands experience of my LIFE (no joke there, just the truth) Rheann got blue toes as her "something blue" (so cute!). 

Made our way over to the Church where we had the rehearsal (I bawled through the whole darn thing, so sweet). Talk about a stunning place to exchange your vows! This was the first time I met Rheann's father and it was so touching to see the closeness between the two of them.

After the rehearsal we went over the her parents place where "the uncle" was cooking up some crazy meat and everyone was having a good time. Sat down and met some of Rheann and Kyle’s family and friends- amazing! Everyone was so warm and inviting. The kind of place that anyone would feel at ease.

I had to leave early though I didn't really want to, I still had not found the right pair of shoes. I had been looking for a few weeks and could not come up with anything that that would work. My dress was a classic cocktail length black satin dress, I needed black shoes and I didn't have anything that would work for a wedding. Everything I had was too "corporate" and too heavy. So I rushed back to the city and ran into the closest mall. There was only one store in the city I had not tried yet and I knew there was one in that mall. 5 steps into the mall I ran through the shoe department of a store I never even though to look in. The Bay- well damn if the perfect pair of shoes weren't sitting there on a table.

1) they were black, strappy and perfect to go with my bridesmaid dress
2) the shoe that was on the table was with its mate and IN MY SIZE
3) they were 50% off
4) I put them on and instantly my feet sighed with relief. They were comfortable!

So I bought them- painless and perfect!

Then I ran around and got some other really important things taken care of- I was ready for the weekend.

Saturday:
Saturday morning, I was up by 6am and putting things together. I didn't have to worry about washing my hair or putting on make-up because all of that was being done for me later on in the day. I threw on my sweats and ran out the door. Met the ladies at the hair salon and we got our hair done while eating cookies and laughing it up. Rheann looked amazing, they placed her vale on and she could have gotten married right there she was so beautiful. Even without a stitch of makeup and her in sweats.

We all piled ito the car and went back to her parents place to get make up done and have some lunch. Rheann's close friend Michelle did our make-up and did a wonderful job. Apply false lashes with skills I'm sure only a few women in the world possess. All while keeping a 3 year old happy and content- Rheann's brother has a daughter who is the sweetest thing ever. She was all about doing girly things and was right in there with any make up brush she would find helping out Michelle.

By 2pm we were ready to go and started getting Rheann into her dress. The bodice had a heavily laced back on it which her mother and maid of honor tied her into. Dress on, shoes on and into the cars we go. on the way there I said to the other girls "why are we so nervous? We aren't the ones getting married!" Michelle responded" Because we are taking it away from Rheann". Truth to that!

The wedding happened- Rheann walked down the aisle towards Kyle a wave of overjoyed tears flushed through the guests. As she walked towards him you could tell that to them they were the only ones in that church. Tears, laughter, vows and kisses- it was done. Married. Then it started to rain- pour. We made it to the limo 95% dry, it was symbolism for new beginnings. Cracking open a bottle of champagne it was time to celebrate.

Pictures were taken, laughter shared and eventually we all made it to the reception were the night was danced away. It was time to take my shoes off by that point because they were just starting to bother me. Excellent purchase those little shoes were. Amazing night.

I've never really thought about marriage until this last year. Even then I kind of figured that it was an old fashion tradition that wasn't necessary. I still feel that way, it's not necessary but it's nice. It's nice to share moment like these with people who are close. One of these days I hope to have my own version of a wedding, I'm not really sure what that would entail but it will make sense to me when the moment comes.

I get it now.


OH! Remember how earlier I was concerned about crying at the wedding- well I didn't. Well, I did but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Yes, my eyes were glistening and I had to use a tissue a few times but over all I was all smiles. Though, I do have to admit that when I got home that night I had a big happy cry in my bed. and when ever I talk about it I get all choked up but it was good!

photo borrowed from Google Images

No comments: