Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Ride to Conquer Cancer


Every year my lovely little Canadian city rallies together (with bikes in hand) for a weekend tour to raise funds and awareness for cancer. 220 km, 2 days and 1 night touring across some of the most stunning natural surrounds this country has to offer. This year was the second annual Ride to Conquer Cancer and I knew double the people participating in it. One friend related his experience in a touching email:

"The Ride started at Spruce Meadows on Saturday and ended at Chain Lakes Provincial Park later that day. In between, we made "pit stops" in Okotoks, High River and Nanton to refuel and share in moment with our fellow riders. By the end of Saturday, we had cycled 115 km, with the last 15-20 km being uphill. In my mind, the uphill "battle" we faced on our bikes was a perfect metaphor of the real uphill battle that many of those with cancer face on a daily basis. The sweat I spilled is nothing in comparison to the tears shed by those who have suffered or continue to suffer with this deadly disease. The pain I experienced going up that hill pales in comparison to the pain experienced by those who suffer with cancer. These people were my motivation for making it to the top of that hill and I hope that my actions can in turn provide them with motivation to do the same in the fight against cancer.

I continued The Ride early Sunday morning at around 7:30 a.m., again with "pit stops" in Longview and Turner Valley. I crossed the finish line at Spruce Meadows at about 12:30 p.m. I was a sore and tired, but full of hope that my efforts, and the efforts of the other 1,887 people who participated in The Ride, may help turn the tide in the fight against cancer. This experience will remain with me for a long time."

It took place over the weekend (July 26th-27th), I actually came across some of the participants on my way back from my families country house along highway 22. There were all kinds of people- fit people, not so fit people, men, women, young, old, some who had Cancer, some who survived Cancer and some who were doing it in the name of someone close to them who had done the delicate dance with Cancer.  I was so touched by their efforts that it was impossible to keep me in the car so I pulled over and greeted the people who were riding into one of the pit stops. Hugging and congratulating. Even at one of the last legs of the even people were still vibrating with energy and enthusiasm. It truly was special witnessing these people.

The event raised over $6.9 million dollars and will change a lot of peoples lives. Congrats to all those who participated, you have my admiration, respect and thanks.


Written insert credited to Mr. B.Shirvell
Image credited to the Enbrdige Ride to Conquer Cancer web site

No comments: