Monday, January 17, 2011

Blue Monday?

Your January travel plan, courtesy of Blue Monday marketing...

Feeling a little sad today? It might be a result of the following formula:



The model was broken down using six immediately identifiable factors; weather (W), debt (d), time since Christmas (T), time since failing our new year’s resolutions (Q), low motivational levels (M) and the feeling of a need to take action (Na).

The formula calculates that Monday January, 17th is the worst day of the year. Apparently - and I quote... "the Christmas glow has faded away, New Year’s resolutions have been broken, cold Winter weather has set in and credit card bills will be landing on doormats across the land – whilst the January pay-cheque is still some way away."

Well, excuse me for saying so but that is a mighty pessimistic assumption for the world. Don't you agree? I don't feel blue today, actually... I'm pretty chipper. The Christmas glow ended for me the day after Christmas and I packed up my stuff and put it away for next year the weekend after Little Christmas.

I haven't given up on my New Years resolutions because, well, I just don't (Exhibit A) and personally, I am offended that this little formula assumes that everyone else has pretty much already given in and given up on themselves. I could be wrong though, maybe by this time everyone has given up. Regardless, I disagree.

The cold winter weather setting in? This is Canada, I live in Calgary. The cold winter weather set in months ago so I totally forget what summer looks like. I don't remember warm and personally, the winter isn't that bad.

Credit Card bills- yes, I can see how this might be a bit of a downer for some people. I'm not going to go there because we all have different relationships with our credit. So thou shall not tread where other peoples credit experience exist.

I don't think this formal gives "us" enough credit. I do not take light to "Blue Feelings" but I think this whole thing is a little off balance. Just like all this Astrology hubbla that has gone viral last week all over Facebook- this doesn't change a thing either. We are still who we are and we all have our own individual thoughts, traits, experiences and ways of being in life. If you feel sad today, you feel sad today. I highly doubt it is a cookie cuter experience defined in the formula above and more about certain aspects and reactions to situations in your life (not to be taken lightly, of course). And if you don't feel sad today, that's fine too.

and finally, the rest of the story...

Truth be told, Blue Monday was pretty much created by a British travel company that wanted to encourage people to "get happy" by going on a holiday. Sky Travel reportedly offered some cash to any academic who would put his or her stamp on the idea that there’s a seasonal mood nadir. A fellow called Cliff Arnall, then a lecturer (and part-time one at that) at Cardiff University in Wales, threw in his hat, and well, the rest is very depressing indeed.


So what do you think?
Do you think there is some truth to Blue Monday?
Or do you find yourself a little skeptical?


Reference:

Blue Monday- Wikipedia

No comments: