That's what you can call me these days because I just haven't been eating sugar and it is killing me- KILLING ME! I'm a cookie a day, cake for breakfast, candy instead of afternoon snack kind of girl. The kind of girl that doesn't think any meal is complete without something sweet.Truth: I kind of went over the top last month with goodies. Veggies and Fruit went flying out with window as did real cheese (I don't know WHY all of the sudden Kraft Single Slices seemed like the ideal indulgence- I'm a foodie... WTF?). It's kind of sad to admit that because this is the time of year that fresh food is most plentiful- just look at that damn horn of plenty that pops up for (Canadian) Thanksgiving during October. FULL of it but nope! Here I am shoving my face with cakes and pies and cookies and hot chocolate mix and candy! Cream sauces and breads, crummy cheeses (and some good cheeses), different types of salted and smoked meats- uuuhhh who took the "everything in moderation" out of that month. Indulgence was in high gear which left me with a bit of a cough.
I went to a nutritionist a few years back (whom I haven't seen in about a year either- tisktisk) and through all her wizardry taught me about sugar and what it can do to a persons immune system. It makes sense I suppose... My life was out of sync, sleep, eating and all that jazz felt as though I was trying to walk with books on my head across a trampoline with 3 other people jumping at different paces. I feel, I dropped my books and got sick.
It has been about a week and a half in which I've been off sugar, not 100%- I still eat yogurt that is sweetened, grace my intestinal track with ripe fruits and gobbled up one slice of pumpkin pie with homemade whip cream (please people, don't eat the stuff in the can unless you plan to do "Whip-its"). What I have put on the back burner are the cakes, sweets and cookies. The obvious stuff and to be quit honest it's killing me. KILLING ME! All I can think is Cookie Cookie Cookie ALL afternoon... Cookie, Cookie, Cookie... num-num-num...Cookie, Cookie, Cookie... num-num-num.
*sigh*
I have however been blessed with a really good threshold for tolerance. Not for all things mind you (people being late, inconsideration, slow walkers, etc) but for most things- it's worked in my benefit before and unfortunately it's working for my benefit now.
It's not like I want to or even need to loose weight, that's not what this is about. It's about putting my body back on track so it can live and function on the high energy level I am use to. Treating it the way it deserves to be treated because God knows (and so do some of you) I haven't always been kind to my body.
It not like I'm going to give up cookies forever or never eat candy again (or my mum's Christmas fudge- omg I want fudge now) but keep it at a minimal. Balance and moderation are the words that come to mind. I just really wanted to talk about this because it's been rather distracting, I can't seem to get my work done. It's like I've quit smoking or something...
Do you eat a lot of sugar? What's your favorite sweet treat?
Photo Borrowed from Readers Digest
1 comment:
i'm a sugar addict and I like just about anything. If it's in the house I will eat it. And I have to be especially careful at Christmas when ingredients are in the house.
I have the GI Cookbook so I know the dangers of sugar in my diet and my husband say to me that if he gave up smoking I can give up sugars. It's haaaaard.
Post a Comment