Thursday, October 22, 2009

Filthy Handshakes

While listening to the lunch time news it was brought to my attention between the "swine flu" this and the "swine flu" that doctors are strongly suggesting that we forgo the handshake and adopt the "Fist Bump" as a means of greeting and introduction. With holiday parties coming up I try to imagine myself going through the crowd, meeting interesting people and pounding fists with them.

  • Obama does it, a good example is when he celebrated winning the Democratic nomination.

  • The Dalali Lama participated in a fist bump when greeted in Memphis, Tennessee (he seemed amused much like when Calgary put THE White Cowboy Hat on his head).

  • The Canadian Olympic Team is resisting the temptation to handshake (or slap each other on the butts) in moments of congratulations and instead plan to touch elbows to avoid unnecessary contact.

Article after article depicts there being such an importance in keeping hands clean and not touching the face (eyes, mouth, nose) to prevent the transmission of dirty nasty viruses (ew). But really, is this going too far? Though I agree, one needs to be more aware of washing their hands especially before eating but do we really need to take things this far? I guess in some situations yes... it helps to numb the fear that so many people have including myself. With so much uncertainty it's nice to know that we, as people, can control one thing that we know won't hurt us. Regardless of if we are left wing or right wing, the first in line for vaccinations or think it's all a government driven conspiracy.

I don't think I'll go as far as pounding fists with my boss or touching elbows with fellow fans at a hockey game however I think I may choose to be more aware of if my hands are clean. Perhaps in a situation when confronted by handshaking and finger food I may keep one hand for good (clean. For touching food... lets say my Left Hand) and the other hand for "nasty" actions (handshaking and other such filthy habits).
What are your thoughts?

How To Give A Proper Handshake:


General Etiquette:
How To Give A Homie Handshake


CNN Commentary: Fist Bump

3 comments:

Morgan said...

ha! I'm soo onboard with this. Terribly germaphobic and would love if the fistbump took over for the handshake!

Bunny, The Paris House said...

Ha Ha this is funny!! I'm such a major germaphobe...especially with three kids and all their germs. I just try to keep my hands away from my eyes and always wash my hands before I eat...I have to say I don't like to shake hands, but sometimes you have to!!
Bunny

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

haha...
I guess Eskimo kiss greeting (a.k.a nose to nose kiss)is out of the question?! You write really well darling, so witty!
xo*