Friday, October 9, 2009

The Dawn Of The October Long Weekend


Wasn't it just Friday LAST WEEK? I think as a result of being a sickie my days got lost behind the medication and naps... today only feels like Tuesday to me NOT Friday and especially not a Friday before a 3 day weekend.


The leaves have started to fall and being that my parents live in an older, well treed area of the city it has become a tradition for Laura and I to rake the leaves on Thanksgiving Monday before dinner. Usually it takes all day and generates about 18 giant garbage bags (which we bring for recycle of course). We listen to music (Folk Music, Fleetwood Mac or something else that seems fitting for October) and jump in the piles before packing it in. This year however the snow has come early and my mum (being my mum) doesn't want me playing in the cold with my cooties. I told her, this being Calgary the weather might change and we still might be able to do it. My parents are getting older and a 30 year old Poplar tree generates too many leaves for people who should have retired 10 years ago. Besides, I want to rake the leaves.


If the leaves don't get raked then I have appointed myself the official veggie cooker. My mum can deal with the Turkey and the stuffing... I don't want to mess with meat but veggies I can do and I can do them all. My mum usually only has time to throw a little butter on the carrots, a bit of butter and cream in the mashed potatoes and brown some pine nuts for the green beans. I on the other hand don't have to worry about the Turkey. I can go in and spend the time to make a red wine reduction sauce, create an appetizer of baked acorn squash stuffed with brown rice and mushrooms... bake scalloped potato's in butter and cheese. Mmmm...

and then I'll do the dishes.


I love Thanksgiving, it's like Christmas but with out the pressure. It's about two of my favorite things... Family and Food.

3 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That is exactly why Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday...family and food. Oh and sometimes my bday falls on it. : )

BALLET NEWS said...

you are lucky to have a Thanksgiving holiday over there !

rosasdolcevita said...

The veggies sound scrumptious. Wish I was there to try them. :-)

I miss having Thanksgiving with my family back in Windsor. Thanksgiving isn't really celebrated here in Germany.

Hope you're feeling better soon.