Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mad About Muffins

I'd watch it muffins or you're going to get eaten dressing that way

This morning I couldn't decided if I wanted to write about Muffins or Mustard- both things I love (minus the muffin bottoms- I'm a tops only girl!) but after some serious consideration...
*drum roll*
Muffins it is! Last night, while I was waiting for the painters to come and do the touch ups on my condo door I decided that there was no better time to bake muffins. I have been meaning to do so for a while because I buy one every morning when I go for coffee with my friend at work. Though I don't get coffee, I get steamed milk with a shot of vanilla flavor. I don't have anything against coffee just caffeine and I don't get along- I already have copious amounts of energy that a shot of caffeine would seriously be too much of a good thing. So when we go for coffee I usually get a muffin, either a lemon cranberry or a blueberry. This habit costs me $5.20 a day which isn't that bad but totally unnecessary so I've been mulling over in my mind "Blanche, you use to love to bake- maybe you should bake yourself some muffins not only to refresh your passion but also save you some coin."

So, last night I baked.

It was a simple little recipe for lemon blueberry muffins that included a tasty little sugar glaze on top. I expected them to be sweet, I expected them to be tasty. I pulled them out of the oven when they were done and soaked in the smell of fresh baked goodies. With my tummy rumbling and mouth salivating I slowly peeled away the wrapper and broke a piece off popping it into my mouth. It was comfort in a muffin- with 10 times less the sugar (!). I could not get over how not sweet my little muffins were compared to the mass produced  monsters at the coffee shop. To be honest, I was actually pretty happy. I'm a sugar-holic by default so I am always looking for ways to cut back on my refined sugar without actually cutting back. I don't like to feel as though I am so home baking my goodies not only saves me a bit of money but also saves my heart and health (or so I tell myself- ha!)

Here is the recipe for my "healthy" Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Super Lemon Blueberry Muffins
These will disappear as quickly as you make them!

 

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup fresh, frozen or canned blueberries

Topping:
1/2 cup melted butter
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar

Instructions:
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in large bowl. Beat egg in medium sized bowl, add milk and butter. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed (batter will be lumpy.) Stir in blueberries. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full and bake at 425 F. for 20 minutes.

Topping:
Combine melted butter and lemon juice. Measure sugar into separate dish. Dip tops of slightly cooled muffins in melted butter, then sugar. Makes 16 large or 32 small muffins.

EAT!!!!



I'll write about my passion for mustard on a different day.

No comments: