Monday, August 24, 2009

Julie/Julia



On Saturday I went to the theater with my mum and watched Julie/Julia. I've been pretty excited to see it as I am with just about any movie that has to do with food. This infatuation all begun years ago when I saw a syrupy movie called "Simply Irresistible" and from that point forward I became a lover of movies about food and of the people who love food (and the magic behind it) just as much as I do.


I actually just finished the book a few weeks prior and I was surprised at how much more I enjoyed the movie- don't get me wrong, The book was a delightful read which filled my head with a lovely buttery glow however the movie was more compelling to me as a story. Plus it made soooooo hungry (they always say hunger is the best sauce). However, the part that reached me more then anything in the movie was life doesn't end at 30. I know, I know- blah blah blah... it doesn't REALLY end at 30 I am aware of that... but inside... deep inside there is a little voice in my head (an evil little raspy voice that scares the dickens out of me.) that whispers... "yes it does, life ends at 30..."

EEK!

Well, I hate to break it to you little voice in my head but it doesn't. Much like me, Julie Powell, (the creator of Julie/Julia) had a job that though it paid the bills- it wasn't a passion or rather her passion. She found THAT at 30 (or really quite close to it) and now lives her dream. As for Ms. Julia Child, through from what I gather she exuded with a particular amount of life passion already she didn't find what she was truly looking for until she was toeing 40 and then publishing her first book 10 years after.

The story has brought my limited thought system into view for me, that really there isn't an expiry date on life or a deadline for when I need to be my certain type of person. Though the it doesn't challenge my concerns about living a long and health life style this does however prove to me that age isn't as big of an obstacle as I may think it is. Things come as they do and with the right attitude plus patience it will all work out in the end.

And on that note...thank you ladies for breaking through the rigid thoughts that lurked in the back of my head. Empowered, motivated and inspired- all that from a delightful movie about two woman who love food.

8 comments:

Papagaio Mudo said...

I like you words. I'll folow you, ok? pass by for a coffe. Or tea...
Wait visits.
hugs,


Gustavo

Papagaio Mudo said...

your* words (sorry)

Rolley said...

haha, yeah, it surely doesn't end at 30, thank goodness. I think most people these days have a nebulous feeling about life at close to 30. I DO, and I'm one of those 'everything about their life looks perfect on paper' type people. Its just human nature I suppose, to doubt, to wonder, to dream, to question, and so on.

I've got no idea what I'll be doing in 10 years, even 5, even 3! Chances are I'll be doing much the same but still ya never know. Like you said, I'm just chilling out and being patient for various dreams to come true, enjoying each day as it comes.

I'm glad that you're cool with the idea of getting to 30 and not having everything sorted as such :) its a good feeling to let go of those fears and questions.

heh..

The Clever Pup said...

Do you like European movies? Then I would recommend Mostly Martha. It's about a German perfectionist who's a great chef and has to take care of her niece. Also Babette's Feast.

Life ends, really, when your kid is around 15, is taller than you - won't be seen in public with you and other kids call you Maam. Life ends at 47.

Tracy-Girl said...

im surprised you liked the movie better than the book... thats usually never the case!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I want to see this so bad!! Hopefully sooner than later!

Joey said...

Life ended for me from 2005 to 2009, now i graduated and life is back for the rebound.

and i hate to admit it but i really thought julie and julia was delicious.

amourissima said...

Papagaio Mudo: Thank you!!! You are TOO kind!

Rolley: You totally are one of those "perfect on paper" people! With your veggies, family and knitting- inspiring!! Letting go of fear is a great thing. It's not so scary being in the water (trying to refer to one of your blogs)

Clever Pup: I swoon over Babette's Feast- it is one of my favorites. I am a huge fan of European movies. I do not scoff at subtitles! :)

Tracy-Girl: I must admiut I was surprised as well!!!

Kelsey:
Yes, see it!!!

Joey: Rebounds can be fun- and yes, the movie was delicious.

Thank you everyone for your comments!!