Monday, July 4, 2011

Guitar Pride

I've been practicing my guitar lots over the last week. I started to loose my callouses and I swore to myself that I'd never go through the rebuilding stage again. So, I had to force myself to really return but all it took was one night and I guess a nice break to capture the passion I had last month. I'm actually doing really well. I know this because I'm not as shy about people hearing me, my mistakes are there but it doesn't matter. I think to an untrained ear they might not be as obvious. My chords are flowing quicker and my strumming has a confidence it hasn't had before. I'm still very beginner but the easy songs I am playing come much easier now. I need to work on my bar chores but I'm proud of where I am and excited of how much better I'll be as I keep practicing. I'm already able to write songs (bad songs but a girls' gotta start somewhere!) and I have just about enough basic knowledge to play by ear. Just about... hee hee.

My favorite songs to play are Joni Mitchell songs because they are the easiest and I love retelling her tortured stories. I also have returned to the first song that I was taught, Cupid by Sam Cook. I struggled my way through it all those month ago but just the other day I opened it up to look at it for the first time in a while and I was able to play my way through it effortlessly. It's become my new favorite.

I have enjoyed Sam Cook since Feist introduced me to his one of his less popular songs. She has a soft place for him as she often talks about him. Hopeless romantics.

No comments: