Friday, July 29, 2011

Rothney Astrophysical Observatory



My friend picked me up at 9:30PM and we headed out to the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory off 22X to check the stars, watch some meteors and talk to big brains. He was more interested in the optic scopes and I more interested in what I could see with them. So many big brains, so much awesome. When the sky darkened a bit more we laid on our backs in the grass, watched the sky and talked about ridiculous things like renaming the constellations. Another thing we talked about were lab created diamonds. I finished my gemology schooling in 2001 so I was unfamiliar with any other forms of creating diamonds other than with heat and pressure. He told me that it can be created by using plasma. The control using this method is far more superior then the old fashioned way. I was impressed and kind of excited... it's been a long time since I've been able to talk about stones and minerals. It was a nice night but I didn't get home till late. I'm a little tired this morning. It's taking me a few minutes to get my motor running.

I am always reminded how much I enjoy science and all things associated with "geek". It causes my little head to whirl in a flurry of thoughts and  ideas. Reminds me of the a quote I heard last week:

"Science is the best thing that humanity has ever come up with. And if it isn't, then science will fix it."

No comments: